Another Regulator Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elshupacabra

Reaction score
I have a dual tap kegerator with a dual regulator (3 dials) that I built maybe 2 months ago and I've already gone through 2 5lb tanks of C02.

When I first got the system my beer wasn't ready so I carbonated some tap water just to see how/if it worked. Everything went well with that except that when I went to keg my beer...I didn't have any C02.

I chalked it up to inexperience (too high of pressure, faulty seals ect.) and re-filled. After I got it re-filled I spray tested EVERYTHING with soap water...found one little leak in the barb connected to the regulator. I bypassed that and just used the other barb and carbed my beer with the "set it and forget it" method.

It eventually carbonated and I was able to serve beers, except that I noticed that the regulator pressure would drop. I would set it at 12 and I would look at it the next night and it would be at 9...6...4...2. I figured it might be adjusting...so I re-adjusted the pressure back up to 12. Same thing happened...until...no more C02.

So, now I've removed the whole gas system from the kegs and I'm testing it and it's still dropping. I'll set it to 5PSI and it will drop...4...3..2 within a couple of hours. I fixed the faulty barb and sprayed down everything AGAIN and found no leaks.

So, faulty regulator, super secret leak or what? Next steps?

So, now I've removed the whole gas system from the kegs and I'm testing it and it's still dropping. I'll set it to 5PSI and it will drop...4...3..2 within a couple of hours. I fixed the faulty barb and sprayed down everything AGAIN and found no leaks.

So, faulty regulator, super secret leak or what? Next steps?

Well, there is definitely still a leak in your setup as evidenced by the dropping pressure.

The first thing you should do is take everything apart and put it back together with some quality thread tape made for high pressure, gas applications. While you can use more permanent methods of sealing the threads/connections (i.e., JB Weld), that will mean that you won't be able to change the configuration if you decide to expand in the future.

Back