is it detrimental to open fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzyeric

Reaction score
Hi, my first brew is going as well as expected... pacing back and forth looking at bubbles... or i was, until they stopped after about a day and a half. From what im reading/hearing dry yeast works really fast. So im assuming its ok. But i took a peek in the ol' brew bucket to see what it looked like/what was going on (i wish i had a 6.5 carboy...) and the aroma hit me... it's smelling so damn good... anyways, is it bad to open that thing? i've read a lot about taking hyd readings so i would assume........not so bad?

it really did smell great... i could've swore i screwed it up about a billion different times... it looks like i need to relax and have a... store brew? only a couple more weeks......

Buy another fermenter and brew another beer. You are going to buy a second fermenter at some point anyway. Give yourself something to do to keep your mind off of the first bucket.

Opening the bucket won't hurt it. I fermented a beer that turned out great when I forgot to sanitize the bucket. I wouldn't open it every day but you are okay.

yeah, i already have a secondary, a 5 gallon carboy, i can see a 5 gal carboy being a bad idea for primary fermantation due to bubbling out... is this correct? the beer is an amber ale which i will secondary. I have a 6.5 bucket on order and will give the ol' college try at making a hefeweizen when that gets here. anyways, i enjoyed the process thoroughly on brew day.. was a BIT rushed for time, though next time it will move much smoother.

yeah, i already have a secondary, a 5 gallon carboy, i can see a 5 gal carboy being a bad idea for primary fermantation due to bubbling out... is this correct? the beer is an amber ale which i will secondary. I have a 6.5 bucket on order and will give the ol' college try at making a hefeweizen when that gets here. anyways, i enjoyed the process thoroughly on brew day.. was a BIT rushed for time, though next time it will move much smoother.

Correct. A 5 gallon carboy is really bad for fermenting 5 gallons of beer. I use a blow off tube for the first week on every single beer even with the 6.5g buckets I have. I have only used a secondary once in 15 batches. I typically ferment for 4 weeks on everything with a normalish gravity. Bottle and brew every other week. Pretty much pitch and forget for 4 weeks.

My first brew day was 6 hours, just the brewing part. Now the guy who I brew with and myself get on batch brewed and one bottled, including all cleanup, in 3 hours.(yeah I only extract brew) We bottle starting at about 15m into the boil, once it gets past the boil over stage. Takes about 15-20m to bottle and cap a batch.

man that sounds awesome. I was told the secondary would help with less sediment in the brew. how much yeast IS actually at the bottom of a bottle of homebrew? is it comparable to say a bottle of store bought hefeweizen or belgian wheat?

If you let the brew sit at least 3 weeks in primary,it'll clear to a slight haze. It'll be cleaned up after itself,with average gravity beers. Then bottle & condition at least 3 weeks. After some time in the fridge,you'll see a light dusting on the bottom of the bottle. Just enough to cover it very thinly.

man that sounds awesome. I was told the secondary would help with less sediment in the brew. how much yeast IS actually at the bottom of a bottle of homebrew? is it comparable to say a bottle of store bought hefeweizen or belgian wheat?

Yeah pretty comparable to a hefe depending on the yeast.

A secondary will help clear things up. How much is an ongoing debate. Many people don't bother with a secondary and claim they get very clear beer. Mine is pretty clear. It might be clearer if I used a secondary but I find my beer is good enough and I don't want to go through the hassle and possible introduction of infection from transferring the beer once more.

Back