Fast Dropping Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letsdance

Reaction score
How fast should the gravity drop in the first few days? My OG was 1.074 and after three days it was down to 1.022. Just seems really fast to me. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Relax, there's really no "fast" or "slow" to worry about. It's all fermentation. You know, you're dealing with yeasts, they have their own agenda. Nothign to sweat about. Just leave it alone for at least another week, to let them do what they do best, and to clean up after.

The first three days is when the yeast go through fast growth so you get high drops in gravity readings... This is only the first and second phase which can be over in 4-7 days... but you still have the conditioning phase, so your beer isn't going to be ready...

Are you opening up the fermenter to check your gravity?

I would just leave it alone and wait a couple of weeks to avoid getting an infection... patience my friend...

If the conditions are right the bulk of the fermentation should probably happen in the first 72 hours, then the yeasts start to clean up after themselves as revvy said. Another week should see the job done. I have a stout that dropped from 1047 to 1016 in three days, plan is now to keg mid next week.

How fast should the gravity drop in the first few days? My OG was 1.074 and after three days it was down to 1.022. Just seems really fast to me. Any help would be great! Thanks!

No idea. Never have had a reason to check my gravity during the first week.

Back