What adjustment should I make to hops for full boil vs. partial boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveAllen

Reaction score
I'm converting an Austin Homebrew extract clone of Fat Tire to full boil. It calls for 1 oz Northern Brewer at 60 minutes, 2/3 oz. Willamette at 15 minutes and 1/2 oz. Willamette at 5 minutes. I know hop utilization will be improved, but what correction do I make? Any help is appreciated.

I'm converting an Austin Homebrew extract clone of Fat Tire to full boil. It calls for 1 oz Northern Brewer at 60 minutes, 2/3 oz. Willamette at 15 minutes and 1/2 oz. Willamette at 5 minutes. I know hop utilization will be improved, but what correction do I make? Any help is appreciated.

Huh? If the extract kit says to boil for 60 minutes, then boil for 60 minutes.

Huh? If the extract kit says to boil for 60 minutes, then boil for 60 minutes.
I need to reduce the amount of hops, due to increased utilization in the full boil. I'm trying to find out how to calculate that. The boil time will remain the same.

well one way to get better hop utilization is to add your extract later in the boil as opposed to the start of the boil. the few extract beers i did i added 1/3 at 60 min & the other 2/3 at 20 min.

I'm not looking to get better hop utilization; it's going to happen anyway, since I am going from partial boil to full boil. What I am trying to find out is how much I need to adjust the hops by, to account for the better utilization.

This probably isn't going to help much but... there were a few threads awhile back about the same thing where they describe somewhat in detail about how to recalculate your hops additions. If i'm not 100% wrong i think if your recipe calls for (example) 2oz of xyz type hops for a 2.5 gal boil, then you would only use 1oz in a 5 gal boil. Like I said, I could be totally wrong in that calculation, I am still doing partial boils. Try searching the forum for full boil vs partial boil or check out the "stickies" in each section. I can't remember where on here it is, but I know it's here.

Thank you, bam. I was searching when you posted, and it does indeed look like I need to cut them in half. I appreciate the responses.

No problem. I'm very new to brewing so I know what it's like to be sitting there with question and not knowing when/where/how you'll find the answer. I found the thread I was referring to. The title was Full Boil vs Partial Boil Hops Utilization..or something like that. :)

Yep, that was it. I forgot to look it up before I started brewing, and I'm just about to hit the boil. Thanks again, fellas.

This probably isn't going to help much but... there were a few threads awhile back about the same thing where they describe somewhat in detail about how to recalculate your hops additions. If i'm not 100% wrong i think if your recipe calls for (example) 2oz of xyz type hops for a 2.5 gal boil, then you would only use 1oz in a 5 gal boil. Like I said, I could be totally wrong in that calculation, I am still doing partial boils. Try searching the forum for full boil vs partial boil or check out the "stickies" in each section. I can't remember where on here it is, but I know it's here.

That's ridiculous! The boil amount doesn't matter much at all! It is the final amount of water that matters!

If you use an amount of hops in a 2.5 gallon boil and then add enough water to make it 5 gallons, you will have nearly identical hop utilization as if you did a full boil that ended up with 5 gallons.

I was simply going on what I read in a thread here on the forum where a lot of other brewers commented and discussed it. If I'm not mistaken they even cited a few websites with calculators to switch between full boil and partial boil. I've not been to the sites, I'm not doing full boils. I was simply directing the original poster to a thread where he could find his answers. IMHO, either way, full boil, partial boil, 5gal, 10gal, a bunch of hops or a little hops, in the end after fermentation and carbonation you have drinkable beer - hopefully. And to me that is all that matters.

If you go from a 2.5 gallon boil to a 6 gallon boil, you should cut your bittering hop addition in half. This is what I get from beer smith. I wouldn't cut your favor/aroma additions at all though.

If you go from a 2.5 gallon boil to a 6 gallon boil, you should cut your bittering hop addition in half. This is what I get from beer smith. I wouldn't cut your favor/aroma additions at all though.

Beersmith doesn't use the boil volume in its calculations. You are adjusting the batch size.

Edit: Nevermind! It uses the gravity of the wort in its calculations. According to it, if you are using plain water, the volume of water doesn't matter, and the higher the gravity of the wort being boiled, the less IBUS you will get from the same quantity of wort.

funny this thread is going on cuz i just did the same thing yesterday...switching from partial to full boil and man did i have some questions. what changes is the gravity of the boil which according to Palmer will ultimately affect the final IBU outcome but I am really not sure how much. another question i have is i found out come time to pour to the fermenting bucket was the amount of boil off volume i had. Technically i should start with 6.5 - 7 gallons of water to come out to a 5 1/4 gallon batch size. Since boil off is 99% water volume would i really need to make adjustments to the recipe? my assumption is no but you guys talk about cutting the hops in half....

EDIT: nevermind i got it =p

That's ridiculous! The boil amount doesn't matter much at all! It is the final amount of water that matters!

If you use an amount of hops in a 2.5 gallon boil and then add enough water to make it 5 gallons, you will have nearly identical hop utilization as if you did a full boil that ended up with 5 gallons.

No, you won't.

Stop fighting kids! :D

Hops utilization indeed increases with a lower SG wort. So, a full boil (or late extract addition) does mean that you'll want to decrease your bittering hops. However, it's not linear- so saying "1/2 of the bittering hops" or even "20% less" isn't always correct.

It's easiest to use some brewing software (even the free calculators online) to help you figure it. If someone forced me to guess for most beers, though, I'd say a reduction of 25% of the bittering hops, in a 2.5 gallon boil going to a full boil, would be close enough in most "regular" gravity beers. The same is true if you take a recipe not designed for late extract additions and changed it to late extract addition. You'd have to recalculate the bittering contribution of the hops.

If you have the AG recipe handy, you can basically use the AG recipe's hopping schedule if you're doing a full boil of the same recipe in extract version.

Beersmith doesn't use the boil volume in its calculations. You are adjusting the batch size.

Edit: Nevermind! It uses the gravity of the wort in its calculations. According to it, if you are using plain water, the volume of water doesn't matter, and the higher the gravity of the wort being boiled, the less IBUS you will get from the same quantity of wort.

Yes, that's how it works. If you want to really pick it apart, there are some great podcasts on Basic Brewing Radio with John Palmer that discuss "what is an IBU really?" and go more deeply into hops utilization and boil size.

Back