New to mead - couple of questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbanta

Reaction score
I am wanting to try to make some mead however the only container that I had that would work (other than a plastic jug) for the amount of spare cash i had to spend on honey.. is a 1/2 gallon glass growler.

My main question is how much yeast should i put in. I have the Red Star Champaigne yeast that is new but not used from doing homebrew sodas.

I was planning on doing Joe's Ancient Orange Cinnamon Mean with 2#'s of honey. I figured I would do 1/2 of everything in the recipe - but wasn't sure if 1/2 teaspoon of my yeast would be equal to 1/2 teasponn of the Fleismann's (since the recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of Fleismann's.)

Any help will be greatly appreaciated - as I will probably be attempting this in about 2 hours ;)

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply - i will do the full tsp just to be safe - since i will be fermenting it at the low temp range of the yeast...

For yeast quantities..........

If you think about the size of the yeast packs from the home brew shops, well they're usually 5 grammes.

that's normally enough for batches up to 5 gallons.

Of course, you could easily use that amount for 10 gallons, but you'd find that the ferment (even in the presence of the correct amount of nutrients etc) would probably "lag" for a long time as the yeast would have to have a long time multiplying.

Hence I understand that's why "they" have calculated the pack size at 5 grammes and recommended that it's enough for 5 gallons, as it starts the ferment in a respectably quick amount of time.

Does 5grammes equate to 1 tsp ? I don't remember..... but 1 tsp is the same as 5 ml's for liquid measurements......

Latest posts

Back