Dogfish head: chicha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some while in Peru. It is good. I had a few other interesting things during my stay as well: guinea pig, alpaca, and coca tea. I also chewed on some coca leaves, but the tea was much better. It seemed to help with the altitude sickness. The alpaca steak that I had was better than most beef steaks. It was amazing.

I had some while in Peru. It is good. I had a few other interesting things during my stay as well: guinea pig, alpaca, and coca tea. I also chewed on some coca leaves, but the tea was much better. It seemed to help with the altitude sickness. The alpaca steak that I had was better than most beef steaks. It was amazing.

I would love to do what zane Lamprey is doing and tour around the world, drinking with the locals. My goal before I die is to have a beer in every continent, if I have to bring the beer, so be it. :rockin:

I had very similar experiences in Peru, though I loved to chew the coca.

Chicha was very good, though when you get it you need to make sure you are not getting the corn soda that is very low in alch that they serve to tourists in restaurants, you want the real stuff.

I'm a firm believer in traveling. So far, I've had beer in ~30 states, including Alaska; Germany; Peru; Canada; and Bermuda...I just wish 10 miles from the border of France would count, lol. I couldn't get my pals to go while I was in Germany. I think my next international travel will probably be to Mexico, and that is mostly because it will be cheaper and I don't have a job right now. Wanna hire me, lol?

Similar experience in Peru, had both the strawberry kind and the un-flavored kind, good stuff, much better than the local crap lagers (note, they don't put barley in Chicha, I think Sam made a Chicha-beer instead of Chicha). I don't know why he didn't just go to Peru and figure out how they make it first, not like its a lost art or anything...

I think he used barley b/c producing chicha on a large scale isn't really possible as he found out, and chicha in Peru is a living drink, they boil it post mouth-mash, then leave it out to ferment. You drink it while it is fermenting, and it is pretty low-alcohol, which is why they serve it in ginormous cups.

If you are ever in peru, there are plenty of houses with a red flag hanging by the door, this means they sell Chicha. Would I (an american with a poor immune system) drink it from a random house, not so much. I drank it at a place that was a little...cleaner...and makes it so tourists don't die.

Sam really is a media whore huh?

Similar experience in Peru, had both the strawberry kind and the un-flavored kind, good stuff, much better than the local crap lagers (note, they don't put barley in Chicha, I think Sam made a Chicha-beer instead of Chicha). I don't know why he didn't just go to Peru and figure out how they make it first, not like its a lost art or anything...

I think he used barley b/c producing chicha on a large scale isn't really possible as he found out, and chicha in Peru is a living drink, they boil it post mouth-mash, then leave it out to ferment. You drink it while it is fermenting, and it is pretty low-alcohol, which is why they serve it in ginormous cups.

If you are ever in peru, there are plenty of houses with a red flag hanging by the door, this means they sell Chicha. Would I (an american with a poor immune system) drink it from a random house, not so much. I drank it at a place that was a little...cleaner...and makes it so tourists don't die.

Sam really is a media whore huh?

Chicha sounds delicious. I have done some research and now I want to try it.

And I dont think hes a media whore as much as the media loves to cover him. He makes beer unlike anyone, and isnt afraid to experiment and even screw up. Its what brewing is all about, If you just made the same beer over and over again, it would be pretty boring. I mean, wheres the adventure? If your not going to make a risky batch of beer from time to time, then you mine as well just buy your beer from Budweiser, or miller and leave the brewing to the adventurous type. But since you are a home brewer, you obviously have a sense of adventure, which I think it takes to brew your own, if it wasn't an adventure or even a risk, everyone would be brewing.

Back