Starsan and pets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSmurf78

Reaction score
So, my cat decided to be brillant tonight, and while I was sanitizing some airlocks and stoppers, I think he decided to lick some starsan foam. He started licking his chops like crazy.

I got him to drink some water, but does anyone happen to know what affects starsan may have on pets, especially cats?

Thanks

On a podcast from the brewing network, I heard Charlie, the inventor, on a podcast saying he's drunk it. Should be okay. I tasted it (diluted at 1 ounce to a gallon) out of curiousity and it's just a little sour...I'm still here. Though now that I think about it, my athlete's foot mysteriously cleared up just after...hmm... ;)

It will not harm the cat in any way. The reason he was licking his chops is because it is not only sour, but it has a puckering astringency to it also. You would react the same way probably. I did when I got a mouthful starting a siphon once. It isn't a big deal.

glad to know... doesn't seem to have any side affects from it.

Normally they just sit and watch me in the kitchen, this time he decided to jump up to the sink to do some taste testing I guess.

I've drank star-san, meow.

I can tell you meow that you won't see any meow negative side effects.

Meow.

Unless your cat has acromegaly, hypoparathyroidism, or chronic kidney disease AND injested more than "just a little foam", you should be fine.

Back