New brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendy

Reaction score
Well, I just learned how to make mead this weekend, and I can't wait to try it. Waiting for a few supplies to arrive, and then I can get started! Any advice from some experienced mead makers?

One specific question....the person who taught me says that he gets the best results from using Sparloid as a clarifier...Anyone have good results from another brand/type of clarifying agent? And does anyone know a retail source for Sparkloid?

Thanks!

I've used Sparkalloid on meads and white wines and find it works well to very well. Also used chitosin and isinglas, but these came with sweet dessert-wine style kits like port, cream sherry, and ice wine.

For clarifiers, you can try LD Carlson, but you can't buy from them online, you have to work with a local distributor (http://www.ldcarlson.com/). For a good selection and rapid delivery, along with lots of helpful info, try E C Krause (http://www.eckraus.com/).

Sparkiloid works very well with mead. In fact, it is the only one I have used (with no noticable change in product). I would recommend getting the hot mix variety (you have to mix it with boiling water to dissolve). It seems to work much better. It is available from most home brewing/wine supply shops.

Good luck and much patience (I need a fast forward button sometimes). :)

Missing

And just because I want to complain....I never realized that a funnel was a specialty item...it must be, because I can't find one at wal-mart, target, the dollar store, the grocery store....jeez! Guess I'll be cutting up the milk jug when I finish it...

Wendy said:
And just because I want to complain....I never realized that a funnel was a specialty item...it must be, because I can't find one at wal-mart, target, the dollar store, the grocery store....jeez! Guess I'll be cutting up the milk jug when I finish it...

It must be a Florida thing,. the great Florida Funnel Boycot.

Wendy said:
You can use a nylon bucket strainer in the jug...or just some panty-hose to line the jug with...:D

homebrewer_99 said:
You can use a nylon bucket strainer in the jug...or just some panty-hose to line the jug with...:D

So, I guess I should use clean pantyhose....but I guess that if I used a pair I had worn before, then there'd be a market for my mead somewhere....no shortage of wierdos in the world...heehee

Back