Worried about radiation? Drink red wine!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOctober

Reaction score
Red Wine Fights Radiation Better than Iodine
Professors recommend the home-made remedy tested after the Accident in Chernobyl

paper.standartnews.com...

Have red wine instead of iodine solutions to curb the effects of radiation. This is the advice of Bulgarian scholars as a response to the panic stirred after the explosions in the Japanese nuclear plant of Fukushima.

Although the explosions in Japan happened at quite a distance from Bulgaria, thousands of Bulgarians stormed into drug stores to buy iodine supplements. This is dangerous as it could damage the thyroid gland, the Bulgarian Ministry of Health alarmed. Red wine consumption is by far a more potent barrier to radiation because of its high tannin concentration, Prof Donka Baykova, deputy chair of the Bulgarian Nutrition Association told the Standart.

Red wine is a strong antioxidant and protects against foreign agents, the professor explained. Research carried out by British scientists, evidences that Bulgarian wines are especially beneficial in such cases, according to Prof Baykova. People in Vratsa, northwestern Bulgaria, are masters in banishing the radiation effects by means of red-wine-drinking and consumption of chili peppers.

The recipe has been brought from Russian and Ukrainian natives who came to the town after the accident in Chernobyl, 1986. The home-made anti-radiation vaccine has been imported directly from the affected lands.

Giving iodine supplements prevents the uptake of radioactive iodine by the thyroid gland. Red wine may be good too, but it doesn't do the same thing. Do not forgo the iodine if you are actually concerned about radiation exposure.

If it's to the point where I'm worried about radiation, I've probably drank all the red wine around the house, well and the beer, mead, and liquor.

A) Iodine ONLY protects the thyroid gland by flooding it with non-radioactive iodine. The rest of your body will be crippled and you will die just as fast, just not from thyroid cancer. Like wearing a bullet proof pad around your neck (the location of the thyroid) and saying "my thyroid is safe!" and then walking into a firefight.

B) Can someone reference an article that supports this red wine excitement? Preferably one that says what PUBLISHED, PEER-REVIEWED, research was done on the subject? Otherwise this is no more useful or reliable then my grandfather that insists that a glass of hot wine at night keeps him from getting a cold. :)

Sorry. Science teacher in me came out to play. heheheh

B) Can someone reference an article that supports this red wine excitement? Preferably one that says what PUBLISHED, PEER-REVIEWED, research was done on the subject? Otherwise this is no more useful or reliable then my grandfather that insists that a glass of hot wine at night keeps him from getting a cold. :)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15647852

(Resveratrol is a component in red wine)

The same has been said about miso..

In the book "Wild Fermentation" by Sandor Katz:

"one specific health benefit of miso is the protection it provides against exposure to radiation and heavy metals... Research that verified this was conducted in the wake of the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and grew out of the observations of a Nagasaki physician, Dr. Shinichoro Akizuki. Akizuki was out of town the day of the bombing,.. He returned to Nagasaki to treat survivors.. He and his staff ate miso soup together everyday and never experienced any radiation sickness, despite their proximity to fallout.. Led to the finding that miso contains an alkaloid called dipicolinic acid that binds with the metals at carries them out of the body..."

Bean ferments page 59

I LOVE this book, it was the gateway into fermentation and I recommend it to anyone who is a fermentation enthusiast!

image-2716045587.jpg

The same has been said about miso..

In the book "Wild Fermentation" by Sandor Katz:

"one specific health benefit of miso is the protection it provides against exposure to radiation and heavy metals... Research that verified this was conducted in the wake of the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and grew out of the observations of a Nagasaki physician, Dr. Shinichoro Akizuki. Akizuki was out of town the day of the bombing,.. He returned to Nagasaki to treat survivors.. He and his staff ate miso soup together everyday and never experienced any radiation sickness, despite their proximity to fallout.. Led to the finding that miso contains an alkaloid called dipicolinic acid that binds with the metals at carries them out of the body..."

Bean ferments page 59

I LOVE this book, it was the gateway into fermentation and I recommend it to anyone who is a fermentation enthusiast!

I don't have a copy of the book to look, but I'm assuming that he cites his source for this information yes? Because all I can find is a bunch of alternative-health websites that repeat the same thing word for word without citing a source. If I see one more page that says "research shows..." or "studies by scientists..." but doesn't cite said research or study I'm going to scream. :mad:

A scholarly search for miso soup turns up that diet has no correlative effect on stomach or breast cancer in Hiroshima or Nagasaki survivors.

A search for "dipicolinic acid" and radiation turns up lots of studies on how it protects bacterial endosperm from radiation and heat. But nothing associated with radiation sickness in humans.

Back