Pacific NW Brewday III: The Reckoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right on. Now it's a party. Just hope the rain lets up. Evil...I'll bring a pop up canopy with me as well. Not big, but we may be able to at least cover up the kettles, etc.

Awesome. Yea looks like we'll need the popup canopy. Damn the weatherman for being right for once! The hookers and blow should be here by 1 PM. I mean wait what??

Miserable weather for a brewday but a good one nonetheless ;-)

Thanks for the great brewday guys!

Yea it was craptastic weather, but still tons O fun! Pictures will be forthcoming soon....

Sorry, got distracted building a chicken coop, of all things. How about some pitchures? Sorry, they're big and I ain't makin em smaller.

Here's Curtis's bitchez watching the brewday go on :p

bitchez watching.jpg

Check out our awesome weather! See the three boils and the horizontal steam. Yet kilted's kilt somehow stays straight up and down the entire time. It's magic I tells ya.

Holy craptastic weather.jpg

Some of kilted's brew gear and my garage miscellania in the background.

Kilted all set for brewing.jpg

Kilted and Curtis during a brief respite from the weather.

Kilted and Curtis.jpg

Here's kilted getting set up for cooling off with his counterflow chiller. It's a pretty sweet setup.

kilted sparging.jpg

Here's another view of my craptastic garage and kilted's junk

Kilted's mash water.jpg

Here's me mashing in. Just as an FYI, there was NO dust in the air before, and the camera was about 10 ft away. Crushed grain is messy.

Me mashing in.jpg

I'm sparging!!

me sparging.jpg

Last one, where Curtis and Kilted are checking out their mashes. ALthough it looks like an awesome 70's split screen montage, that's only the leg of the canopy. Man that thing was a life saver.

Timing the boil.jpg

Ahh... brings back memories...

And uh... The weather was way worse than the pictures make it work! Fun day though, and the batch I brewed up started bubbling that night - fastest I've ever had a fermentation start...

Curtis, am I reading you right that the batch brewed on the 28th just started bubbling on the 3rd? And that's your fastest start?

Thanks for posting the pics Evil. There were actually a few gusts that did pick up the kilt a little more than I'd like, just glad you didn't have a camera in hand at that point.

No, he said it started bubbling that night. As in less than 12 hours or so. I'll bet it was 75 miles of driving/aeration that got the fast start.

You can't see it in the pictures, but there's plenty of horizontal rain action going on.

Looks like it was a fun day, wish I could've been there. Hope i can make the next NW brewday. When I finally can afford a house I'd love to host!

should have called in sick and flew to PDX instead of working.
bleh.

thing is...
if things would have gone as planned... and my contract job wasn't removed from the budget last year, I would be posting from a new home in St. John's rather than a condo in SF bay area.

Looks like it was a fun day, wish I could've been there. Hope i can make the next NW brewday. When I finally can afford a house I'd love to host!

Same here!

Too bad I'll likely be in the boonies and ya'll would have to deal with the zoo...

BTW Evil - ya should share the recipe for the... crap... don't remember what you served but it was damn good!

Noo... The one ya served was the one you'd brewed at your old apartment. That sat on the lees for months. Damnit brain - bring name back in or at least descriptions (it was darker).

Trying to avoid a quote ending up in the stupidest things thread...

Ah, you're talking about the BlondDoppelBock. I saw BrewPastor had made a recipe for one and I decided to use it. You can find it here although I don't know what changes I made to it since I'm at work at the moment.

Back