Anyone looking forward to The Dissident?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the label, it looks like it could be a black metal band's EP.

It's a Brett infected beer.... I've never had one of those. It looks interesting, and I'd try it if it was available, but I won't scour the lands to try and find it.

I'm all about trying Descheutes special beers, but even though they are made in Oregon, it's still a PITA to find them locally. Did manage to have the Abyss on Tap, but missed out on XX Black Butte Porter, and probably won't get lucky finding this either unless I can work in a trip to Seattle.

I picked up a bottle of XX at Haggen's up here in Stanwood. They're basically the same as a Top foods if you have one of those over on the Kitsap. They do pretty good with the special brews from around the northwest.

Belmont Station is now saying Tuesday, but that the pub has bottles. I may ride over there tomorrow on my lunch break and pick some bottles up. They've got it on tap too.

OK, Success!!!

Dissident_001.jpg

Belmont had a 2 bottle limit and was selling them for 10.99 +deposit. I had to run by the office so I stopped by a whole foods and they had them for 9.99 +deposit, but no limit so I picked up four more....McK...you're all set!

$11 a bottle? Yeesh that's a lot. I'd better get two so I can get drunk on one, and save one for later.

The Abyss is due in a month or two. I've heard its even better than XX. I just wish there was somewhere around here that had them on tap.

Oh, he was looking for 2007 Abyss. I still have the one bottle I got. Not sure when it will ever see the light of day.

Didn't know they were coming out with the 2008. I'll have to keep my eyes open for that. Website does indeed say November.

I had the Abyss on tap earlier this year at Collins Pub in Seattle during their Strong Beer Festival.

Abyss is annual. It comes out every year. There's still some on tap in SD, and another keg will be on in October at Hamilton's Tavern.

I wouldn't assume that The Abyss or any of the Deschutes Reserve beers would be an annual deal. I think the Mirror Mirror hasn't been out since 2006. Sadly I missed that one and would love for them to bring back something similar.

I wouldn't assume that The Abyss or any of the Deschutes Reserve beers would be an annual deal. I think the Mirror Mirror hasn't been out since 2006. Sadly I missed that one and would love for them to bring back something similar.

I guess it is more safe to say that the Abyss has been consistently released then?

OK, I couldn't take it anymore and popped open a bottle:
Dissident_003.jpg

Took 20 minutes to get through the wax...ok, maybe 5. But once you open the bottle the aromas coming out are full of Pinot/Cabernet. Pours very nicely with a thin head that doesn't last too long. First sip I knew it was a sour, but it wasn't overly so. Cherries are also coming through. I want to let this warm up a little to get a better picture.

Initial reaction is it's good, but could stand for a little more bottle aging.

Real quick....sourness totally comes out more as this warms up, but the beer seems very well balanced to me. Different flavors popping out at different times. This is getting me excited about the Oud Bruin a group of us up here in the PacNW are doing!

I was lucky enough to find a keg in Eastern WA. It is now sitting quietly in the cooler at Naked City. All you NW HBT'ers, I'll be sure and let you know when we plan to tap it!!! :mug:

I was lucky enough to find a keg in Eastern WA. It is now sitting quietly in the cooler at Naked City. All you NW HBT'ers, I'll be sure and let you know when we plan to tap it!!! :mug:

It is a fantastic keg and it is good in bottles too. I have three bottles left and I want to hold on to them because this beer is great.

I drank my first one this evening. I think as much as I've wanted to like sour beers, I have finally found a style that doesn't appeal to me. I don't mind a little sourness, but when it is the dominant factor in the beer I can't stomach it much. It's taken me awhile to come to this realization. A sample glass of a sour beer is OK once in awhile, and I'll try anything once.

I'm not going to say this is a bad beer, it's just not for me. I'll be gifting/trading my other bottle to someone else.

I'd been really looking forward to this, then the more I read about it, the less interested I was. I'm really not big on sour beers either. I'm waiting with baited breath for The Abyss in a couple weeks though.

I'd been really looking forward to this, then the more I read about it, the less interested I was. I'm really not big on sour beers either. I'm waiting with baited breath for The Abyss in a couple weeks though.

Ooooh are we getting to Abyss season again? I still have a few bottles. I'll have to crack one of them when I get some of the new batch to compare.

Abyss is great. I think the Black Butte XX was a bit better.

And it is really too bad you don't like sours. The Dissident is a really great beer.

Back