March pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeDogsNE

Good for what ales you
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I see the March 809 pumps showing up on rigs, and when I look for them for sale I find them with plastic, bronze, and stainless steel heads. I prefer metal to plastic. The stainless is very costly. The bronze costs a little bit more than the plastic. Are there any issues with using bronze in a brewing setup?

I dunno about the bronze. I;d be concerned about corrosion.

What's so bad about plastic? I mean as long as you don't use a torque wrench on th fittings or sling it around by the hose it's fine.

at the least, you could build it into a cheap tool box to protect it from clumsy mistakes.

Bronze is fine. I have 2. Corrosion isn't an issue unless you're using it in a marine environment, or with seriously high/low pH for loooooong periods of time. I think they're designed for continuous duty so you'll be fine.

any idea if the bronze head will react to any of the standard cleaning and sanitizing agents I might end up pumping through it on brew day? (besides bleach which is no longer part of my brew setup so no need to think about that one).

I have used the March 809 for about a year now. They are expensive, but If I had known how effective they are, I would have bought one much earlier. I have brass nipples on mine, and they are still shiny new.

Most are sold with the polysulophone (sp) head, and I have used mine for a year with no issues. I have seen the SS version, never the bronze... the "plastic" head works fine unless you throw it on the floor of your garage or something.

Back