noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In this case the opposite of dry is sweet. It is usually described as dry because of the higher level of alcohol (thus less sugar) and the alcohol has a dry mouth feel. Montrachet yeast is very good at converting sugar to alcohol (high attenuation) so it results in drier wines.

Some have used ale yeast in Apfelwein in order to sweeten the mouthfeel a bit. I personally don't think it's necessary. I use Red Star champagne yeast in all my batches of Apfelwein.

thanks for the quick reply. Have you tried any of the other yeast mentioned? should I just start with the original? I was not super impressed by my first batch of beer and would really like to make something good.

Unless you have some experience, I'd suggest following the recipe the first time. We can always tell you how to sweeten it if it's too dry for you.

Once you have some experience, you'll be able to try different yeasts and maybe some different ingredients and make it more to your taste. But the first time, I'd suggest going with the original.

I do use lots of different yeasts in different wines and beers to impart a certain characteristic. Most of the time, though, it is a subtle difference. Some yeasts, for example, will help maintain a fruitiness that may be desirable in a fruit wine. Some will be cleaner tasting. It's fun to experiment with them.

Back