Any issues with caps that look like this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doliss

Reaction score
I noticed after capping that the caps themselves had a small circular dent in the center from the capper. Pulling the handles down to cap the bottles was simple but I notice a bit of resistance as I lift the handles and take the capper off the bottles. Seems like this dent is from the center of the capper pushing to bottle out. Is this normal or do I have a faulty capper?

image-1845227467.jpg

image-1594842448.jpg

Mine does it occasionally. You have a standard wing capper, I take it?

While I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to have the dent, my capper has been getting more stubborn over the last few batches. Either it doesn't seem to get a good seal, it takes too much effort to get the cap on properly, or in a couple of cases, it has gripped too hard and snapped the neck of the bottle. I'm probably going to phase it out for a bench capper soon.

Yep, wing capper. Small center post when the capper is open shows up in the picture

image-3823139125.jpg

image-4116347136.jpg

Yeah, that's the same one I've got. Normally that center post with the magnet holds onto the cap and presses it against the neck of the bottle. But, if you pull the handles down too hard, the neck of the bottle gets caught in the capper and as you open it, the post comes back down and leaves that depression behind. Again, I don't think the dent will do anything to hurt your seal, it's just a matter of applying just the right amount of pressure to get a good seal on your cap without getting it caught in the capper.

That must be it, I was pulling down pretty much all the way when seating the caps, guess i'll play with it and give a bit less pressure to see if there's a happy median. Thanks for the advice

My old bench capper leaves a dent also if I press too hard on the lever. The shaft goes through the bell and is then peened over. I have never had a problem with bad seals yet.

Back