• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB 15.5 Gallon Kegs in Northern California.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricochetbrew

Reaction score
Currently I am deployed to Afghanistan however I will be back in California in mid to Late January. I am looking for 15.5 gallon kegs to turn Into keggles and my own version of Sabco Fermenters. I would prefer straight wall kegs but am open to any type. If anyone knows where I can get them (preferably in Nor Cal) please let me know. I am on a budget so used is much preferred. Additionally always wanted are corny kegs, Ball or pin and large stainless kettles 25 gallon+ ( do not need to be drilled or welded for fittings). Thanks fellow home brewers.
Ryan Davis.

I used a sanity welder in Sacramento named Steve. I think he travels a bit for work, but am not sure. This is what I spec'd and he made for me:

I'll PM you his number.

You might want to check out The CHI Company in Diamond Springs, CA. when you get back. A legal reseller of kegs of all sizes. right now used cornies are about 45, cleaned and pressure tested and the 15.5G Sanke are 90 when in stock. 125 will get you a sanke with two FNPT welded on.

Good luck with your rig!

-t

You might want to check out The CHI Company in Diamond Springs, CA. when you get back. A legal reseller of kegs of all sizes. right now used cornies are about 45, cleaned and pressure tested and the 15.5G Sanke are 90 when in stock. 125 will get you a sanke with two FNPT welded on.

Good luck with your rig!

-t

Interesting first post. Welcome to HBT.

OP, I emailed Chi Company to buy some kegs from them over a week ago. They still have not responeded to me. I suggest you check their review thread before doing business with them.

thadius856 said:
I used a sanity welder in Sacramento named Steve. I think he travels a bit for work, but am not sure. This is what I spec'd and he made for me:

I noticed that you used threaded ports. Was there a reason you chose these over ports for tri clamp fittings? Was it just a cost issue? Additionally my current brew kettle has a ball valve and a weldless thermometer. What is the necessity of a three port kettle? What do you use each port for? Thank you and forgive my ignorance.
Ryan davis.

Go to bevmo and talk to the manager they always have empty kegs they cant return and will sell you for 40 bucks. I even had one manager just give me a keg to get it out of his way. I live just outside of Sacramento and they are very friendly and open to home brewers

I noticed that you used threaded ports. Was there a reason you chose these over ports for tri clamp fittings? Was it just a cost issue? Additionally my current brew kettle has a ball valve and a weldless thermometer. What is the necessity of a three port kettle? What do you use each port for? Thank you and forgive my ignorance.
Ryan davis.

No worries. Nope, wasn't for cost. If it was a cost move, I'd have sourced my own keg and then drilled it out myself for weldless bulkheads. I went with threaded fittings for flexibility. If I went to go for tri's later, they can be adapted. I don't see myself going that way, but I like to plan for the "just in case I want to..." moments. Here's one that might help:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/building-my-keggle-set-up-welded-tri-clover-245375/

The left 1/2" full coupler is for the valve. On the outside of it, we thread in a "close" or 1-1/2" nipple, then a 3-piece ball valve, then connect to your tubing using your preferred method (I'm going with 1/2" NPT to 1/2" barb, then clamp with an oetiker). On the inside of the keg, I'll thread in a 1/2" NPT to 5/8" dip tube.

The top 1/2" half coupler is for the 3" thermometer. We don't want the probe too close to the bottom or we'll get skewed readings. If you'd prefer a 2" thermometer, you'll probably want to go with a 1/4" NPT instead.

The right 1/2" half coupler is for the sight glass. Most sight glasses connect with a 1/4" NPT fitting because they don't need much flow. However, having 1/2" NPT and using a reducer gives future flexibility. You can do a 2-port version where the thermometer and sight glass use the same port if you prefer, but then it has to be at the bottom and you introduce the skewing of the thermometer.

Bobby M sells all of these fittings over at Brew Hardware. That's where I bought mine. He has written a very thorough article on keggle fittings and positioning the welds, plus a good deal of YouTube videos out there if you get bored.

dbeer22 said:
Go to bevmo and talk to the manager they always have empty kegs they cant return and will sell you for 40 bucks. I even had one manager just give me a keg to get it out of his way. I live just outside of Sacramento and they are very friendly and open to home brewers

Thank you! I will check out bevmo. There are two not far from my house. Great advice.

Thadius856

Thank you for the education it was very helpful. I currently have two Keggles. One has a Weldless ball valve and a Weldless thermometer. The other simply has the valve. I will definitely go with the three ports on my new Keggles. I will check out the links you posted as well. I am looking to improve my current system which for now is completely manual. It is gravity fed which means lifting large amounts of Liquid which isn't much fun. I am hoping to add pumps soon and then a temperature control system. Additionally I am trying to educate myself in RIMS or HERMS systems but I am a little overwhelmed.
I have been brewing for almost 8 years but as you can tell I have recently caught the bug so to speak. I want more control and a more consistent product. Thank you for your advice and time.
Ryan.

Thadius856

Thank you for the education it was very helpful. I currently have two Keggles. One has a Weldless ball valve and a Weldless thermometer. The other simply has the valve. I will definitely go with the three ports on my new Keggles. I will check out the links you posted as well. I am looking to improve my current system which for now is completely manual. It is gravity fed which means lifting large amounts of Liquid which isn't much fun. I am hoping to add pumps soon and then a temperature control system. Additionally I am trying to educate myself in RIMS or HERMS systems but I am a little overwhelmed.
I have been brewing for almost 8 years but as you can tell I have recently caught the bug so to speak. I want more control and a more consistent product. Thank you for your advice and time.
Ryan.

You're way ahead of me, Ryan. This is my first keggle, and I'm RIMS/HERMS retarded.

thadius856 said:
You're way ahead of me, Ryan. This is my first keggle, and I'm RIMS/HERMS retarded.

Haha. Probably not ahead just planning I guess. I have been deployed for the last year and am about to be home so I have had lots of time to dream about better systems. My brother has been brewing in my stead and I can't wait to get back to it. You can believe my first beer back will be a home brew!
Ryan

Back