Vittles Vault grain capacity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moviebrain

Reaction score
I've searched and found several articles on people using Vittles Vaults for fermentors (50# VV appears to be good for 13 gallons of beer...) and I'm looking for someone who has used either the 40# or 60# VV to store grain.

I'm looking for stackable, easily accessible (without unstacking) containers, several of which will need to hold an entire 50 or 55# worth of grain.

Currently I'm using stacked "waterproof" file storage bins from Office Depot. They're semi-clear and have a locking lid with a cheap-o weatherstrip thing around the opening. They're difficult to work with because I have to move way more grain than I want just to get a scoop or two of specialty malt.

I'm asking because at the beginning of the year I'm going to try and bulk order the grains for my entire year of brewing as part of a project I'm trying to start. It'll be homebrew scaled, but attempting to brew close to my 200 gallon yearly household limit. I figure if I buy bulk, get in on a group buy, or otherwise get some economy of scale for my purchase I can save a little money (and it's something others might be interested in finding out).

So, anyone out there using the 40 or 60# Vittles Vaults with the side-port access, and can they easily hold a sack of grain? Any long-term use issues? Any other grain-holding suggestions? Keep in mind I'm in an apartment so the stacking thing is important, and I don't need large outdoor cabinets to keep critters out.

That's my thought, as well, but I can't confirm it.

Like I said, the 40# fits a bag RIGHT UP TO THE TOP. With the opening on those being toward the front, there may be a risk of spilling if they are too full when opening.

I just bought 60# stackables and put the grain in with them stood on end, then stacked them.
when stacked the grain is about level with the bottom of the opening.I think to fill them when stacked
you will have to push the grain back to get it all in. I don't think there is any way tou could put a bag of grain
in a 40# stackable with out standing it on end,and then if you stacked it back up if you took the lid off the grain would fall out.
Tom

I just bought 60# stackables and put the grain in with them stood on end, then stacked them.
when stacked the grain is about level with the bottom of the opening.I think to fill them when stacked
you will have to push the grain back to get it all in. I don't think there is any way tou could put a bag of grain
in a 40# stackable with out standing it on end,and then if you stacked it back up if you took the lid off the grain would fall out.
Tom

You're the man Tom, exactly what I needed to hear! Thanks!

Back