Hops Question - American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanken

Reaction score
I'm doing my second all-grain batch today, going with an American IPA (5 gallon batch)...

My grain bill:
- 12.75 lbs - 2 Row Pale Ale
- 0.75 lbs - Munich
- 0.50 lbs - Crystal 20
- 0.50 lbs - Crystal 10
- 0.25 lbs - Crystal 40

I also purchased 1 oz of the following hops in pellet form:
- Citra (13.4% AA)
- Centennial (8.1% AA)
- Horizon (11.2% AA)
- Chinook (11.7% AA)

I was planning on the following hop addition schedule based on the fact that I'd like the end result more on the "citrus" than the "pine" side of the flavoring spectrum:
- Chinook @ 60 min
- Horizon @ 20 min
- Centennial @10 min
- Citra @ 0 min

I don't know much about hop varieties or how they compliment each other... Does anyone see anything glaringly obvious like "you shouldn't use Horizon so late in the boil" or "Horizon and Chinook won't go well together"?

Thanks! :mug:

You've got a little bit too much crystal malt- I'd cut that to no more than a pound total. With crystal malt in IPAs, "less is more"!

As far as for your hopping, I'd probably reverse the horizon and the chinook. Chinook has a great citrusy/pine flavor that can be harsh but I love it. Horizon hops make a good bittering hop.

Citra tastes like tropical fruit- mango, to me. Centennial is a floral citrusy flavor.

Recipe looks good. Definitely less crystal. I don't use crystal in my IPAs. if I do about a half pound. Also I'd suggest (next time) using a technique called hop bursting, requires more hops but allows for a softer bitterness and a lot more hop flavor by doing no hop additions early than 30. Malts I suggest are munich, victory, maybe a little crystal, carapils. Last two in small amounts and not in the same batch. Lol however I'm still kind of new to AG, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Back