24 days of wild yeast (many pics)....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inexplorata

Reaction score
This was the last picking off the tree out back, a little more than two gallons of juice that did some interesting things in the carboy, to say the least.

Basically just juiced the apples and put it in a glass carboy, as I'd had good luck with wild yeasts from that tree earlier.

Around Day 21, the fermentation took off and things progressed normally from there; I racked into two PET jugs and took samples off at different gravities -- that'll be another thread. Just thought folks might be interested to watch the pre-ferment separation, the rise and fall of the pectin etc.

Day 1
Day1.jpg

Day 2
Day2.jpg

Day 3
Day3.jpg

Day 5
Day5.jpg

Day 6
Day6.jpg

Day 7 (notice the monster gas pocket really starting to form)
Day7.jpg

Day 8
Day8.jpg

Day 9 (the little flecks were slowly rising and falling)
Day9.jpg

Day 10
Day10.jpg

To be continued ....

Day 11 (the last day for the giant white bubble -- popped it to thief a gravity sample)
Day11.jpg

Day 12 (this "dual layering" stayed suspended for two days)
Day12.jpg

Day 13
Day13.jpg

Day 14
Day14.jpg

Day 15
Day15.jpg

Day 17 (starting to cloud ever so slightly)
Day17.jpg

Day 21 (cloudy and a finally active airlock)
Day21.jpg

Day 22
Day22.jpg

Day 24
Day24.jpg

As I said, from here it was pretty standard fizzy stuff, if very, very slow. Today is Day 37, and the fermentation has nearly stopped. :mug:

Just as an update, I bottled this and it carbed up, had my first taste last night.

...Odd nose to it, almost like eucalyptus or Cepacol? Very weird. I may go back to cultured yeasts next year.

Looking at my notes, by OG was 1.050, and it came down to 1.000 before it petered out. The *taste* is decent, but it did give me an uncharacteristic headache. :)

The smell is pretty off-putting after a few sips, though. And that was even in a narrow half-pint glass. :(

Seems appropriate to kick this and mention I've been tasting it off and on for months, opened another last night. Still nicely carbed, clear, beautiful... and has an overwhelming eucalyptus nose that makes drinking it no fun.

I went back to store-bought yeasts this year. :)

Sounds like geranium taint. Caused by an number of lactic acid bacteria. Sometimes it just happens, regardless of yeast. Another good reason to use sulfites.

Latest posts

Back