How Long is Too Long to Leave in Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcgbrew

Reaction score
So I started a batch of Mr. Beer Cherry Nut Brown in my 5 gallon bucket (had an Mr. B. kit I had to use up) on Labor Day (September 5) and won't have time or money (for bottles) to bottle until this Sunday (October 2). Is nearly a month of sitting on yeast and cherry trub going to affect my beer? A lot of stuff i have read recommend getting the beer off the trub after 2 weeks. Thoughts? Wisdom?

Unless I am adding something to my beer that I want to add after fermentation has stopped, I commonly leave my beer sit in primary for 4 weeks, and so do many others on this site. in fact, more updated wisdom than most beginning brew books will give you even suggest it.

Unless I am adding something to my beer that I want to add after fermentation has stopped, I commonly leave my beer sit in primary for 4 weeks, and so do many others on this site. in fact, more updated wisdom than most beginning brew books will give you even suggest it.

Thanks I will admit I gleaned the 2 week tidbit from The Complete Joy... :mug:

I've gone 6 week in a bucket primary for a Belgian Wit. It was drinkable. Did I loose flavor? no idea first time I did that receipe so I had nothing to compare it to. Maybe 2 weeks or 4 would have been a worse beer than 6 weeks.

Anyhow, beer tasted like a Belgian Wit any complaints I have with it are A the specifics of the ferment (I have no temp control) and B my sometimes fickle beer pallet.

Back