Partial Boil/Mash 10 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpr121

Reaction score
Does anyone do partial boils/ partial mashes for 10 gallon batches?

I have a 5g Igloo MLT and a 1/4 barrel (7.5 gal) keggle that I currently use for AG 5 gallon batches. I think I want to step up to 10 gallons. Would it be okay to mash as much as I can in the 5G MLT, sparge as much as I can into the keggle, and calculate how much extract would be required for a post boil volume of 10g?

I also may have access to a 1/2 barrel keg, should I just wait until I can convert that to a keggle to avoid the hassle?

Sure you can do that type of Partial Mash. No need to wait. Brew away and get the larger kettle when you can.

Thanks Bend. I actually went ahead and got a hold of that 1/2 barrel. I cut the top off and did a 5 gallon batch with it yesterday. Boy was it nice not having to "babysit the pot" while boiling like I do with my 1/4 barrel.

I should have my ingredients for a 10 gallon batch of a Haus Pale Ale by next weekend's brewday. I will still be doing a partial mash, since my cooler is only 5 gallons (who can guess what my next purchase will be?). The math should be a little simpler since I will have my full volume in the kettle, I'll just have to figure out how much extract to add to get to the correct OG.

Latest posts

Back