How long can a lager sit in the secondary fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nichols

Reaction score
I have a Bavarian helles lager that has been sitting in my secondary for about 6 months that I haven't gotten a chance to bottle(5 gal Glass carboy).

The airlock is not dry and its sitting in my basement wrapped in a towel. So its cool and no light is getting to it. Do I have to reactivate the yeast before bottling or should it be ok? I use corn sugar for carbonation and don't have a keg available. Thanks Justin

Some lagers sit for nearly a year in the secondary. You probably will want to pitch new yeast shortly before bottling.

Bottle that batch up already. Summer will be over soon and you'll be craving porters, stouts and barley wines...

If you add yeast you will only need about 0.5g of dried yeast. In this situation you could use either a lager or ale yeast as neither will add any noticeable flavour to the beer.

Good luck.

GT

Thanks guys I'll let you know how it turns out. Got Trub is right I need to get my butt in gear...

Back