Hydrometer Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenchu_11

Reaction score
Its my 3rd brew in a month and my first 3 ever. I do use a hydrometer and have to google things like "hefeneweizen O.G 1.045" and find threads hopeing to find. What FG should be like "is 1.045 a good O.G", and how to calculate Alcohol content. I've read things such as O.G - F.G then multiply it by 129.
Such as
1.045-1.005=.04
.04 x 129=5.16 Alcohol.
Does anyone have any link that has a comprehensive way or guide of how to determening if O.G is correct and how to calculate F.G. I've seen maybe another two mathematical equations like the one i wrote. Is it correct if not..what is it or where can i find it?

the problem with using a piece of software to calculate your FG is that they never seem to take the fermentability of the wort into account. they always take the calculated OG and subtract the yeast's attenuation rating.

example:

OG = 1.050
attenuation = 75%

FG = 50 - ( 50 * 0.75 ) = 1.0125

if your just looking for online tools check out this site.

I down loaded beer smith what is brew house efficiency? ...I know i'm a noob.

I down loaded beer smith what is brew house efficiency? ...I know i'm a noob.

It is how a comparison of how much sugar you have extracted from your grains compared to the maximum possible extraction. As an extract brewer, this is not too important, just go with 70% to get a ballpark.

I strongly recommend reading as much of John Palmer's book as you can. This section discusses efficiency, but you may want to click around.

I wouldn't try and use Beersmith or any software like it until you have some of the basics down. You will not get good answers from software if you have no idea what the questions are. And Beersmith asks a lot of questions lol.

There are some quick equations that calculate ABV (some calculate ABW). Your hydrometer should have come with directions that will have a chart too. Check out this link:

http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html

Back