Bad filter technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CouchFarmer

Reaction score
I'm using a filter for the first time. Setup is the source keg is hooked up at 2 psi and piped through a filter to the spear-side of another keg. The beer was cold from being in the fridge overnight and had not yet been carbonated. Everything was fine until I left the garage for longer than I thought I would.

When I returned it had finished pumping the beer from one keg to another and was slowly pushing CO2 though the filter and bubbling up through the keg, producing a nice layer of bubbles on the top.

I've read that it's bad to aerate the beer as it produces staling reactions, but I did it with CO2 instead of air. I tasted it afterwards and it definitely had changed the flavor for the worse. My question is, is the flavor change temporary and I've just given it a head start on the carbonating process, or did I just "stale" the beer?

CO2 is tasteless, and more importantly will not oxidize your beer (of course). If you noticed a change in taste it was due to something else in your process. In the future, instead of using a filter try gelatin finings. They are easy use, and will result in crystal clear beer in 1-2 days. IMHO, it's a lot easier at the homebrew level than mechanical filtering.

Part of the reason I'm wondering if something happened was that I did two batches back to back, the only difference being that I watched the second one and made sure it didn't foam up. The second one still tastes fine. I had "primed" the filter with water, then dumped the early mixture of beer and water to avoid watering down the beer.

Back