Camera Challenge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loweface

Reaction score
So... :eek:

I have a Nikon Coolpix L16 with a broken display. It snowed a few minutes ago, and since we get snow about once or twice a year (for like 15min) I grabbed it and went for a walk.

I didn't realise there was no card in it :mad: and now I need to transfer the photos from internal memory to external SD card blind!

So can anyone help with a step by step? Help a brewer out! :mug:

Edit: Camera like this:
nikon_coolpix_l16.jpg

Do you still have the USB connector cable?

If you connect it to your comp it will act as a media drive and you can either download the pics or just cut and paste them onto the flash card.

Just connect and if you have Windows it should auto connect to the camera.

Then look under My Computer to find the camera listed in Removeable Drives or something similar.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

+1

If your camera lets you access internal and flash that's certainly easier

Three options:
1 - read the manual rather than rely on best guess
2 - Insert memory card, view pictures, there should be an option to transfer to memory card
3 - use usb cable to plug camera into computer with no memory card inserted. Computer should "see" pictures on camera and give option to transfer. If not automatically, should assign drive letter to camera where you can explore contents.

Thanks so far...

I may have the cable at home and would seem the best bet. I'll have to install the nikon software which will be a bummer if the photos are crap...

I have read the manual (thanks for the link) at the relavent part but there isn't enough detail to figure out step by step i.e. "munu, down (x3), left(x1), ok, down(x1), ok... wait... done"

A nonworking screen really is a pain and is why the camera was quickly replaced and left on an office shelf...

There should be no need to install any software to save the photos. All my cameras show up as storage devices in Windows Explorer, you can transfer them from that point.

If you want edit them you may indeed need some additional software if you do not have a photo editor.

There should be no need to install any software to save the photos. All my cameras show up as storage devices in Windows Explorer, you can transfer them from that point.

If you want edit them you may indeed need some additional software if you do not have a photo editor.

+3X

My comp just loads enough to know it is a drive. Then transfer off.

Whoo- I got it I got it!!! (Found the cable) Good thing I hadn't thrown the box away (I normally rely on the SD reader in my laptop)

Thanks for all the help...

The only usable photo is this:

Picture002.jpg

And I realise this doesn't count as snow to most of ye :D

Whoo- I got it I got it!!! (Found the cable) Good thing I hadn't thrown the box away (I normally rely on the SD reader in my laptop)

Thanks for all the help...

The only usable photo is this:

Picture002.jpg

And I realise this doesn't count as snow to most of ye :D

LOL! We got another few weeks of snow before we can start thinking of warming up. And then we can have snow like that for several more weeks.

Went for a trip to UP (upper penninsula, Michigan) last year and saw 6 foot snowbanks on the side of the road. With lots of snowmobile tracks on top of them. The locals use them as snowmobile roads in the winter, to get from place to place.

We actually got a good amount of snow (several feet) early this year, and then all of it except the snowbanks melted. But we got a few more feet after that anyway.

Ya I lived in CT for about 9 months a few years back and I saw real snow, though still not what many of ye get. It's just that when we get a few flakes its the only time to try get a few pictures work like that...

Back