Question about strange taste...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirate252

Reaction score
SO we brewed this beer we call Magnum, done with 7.5 lbs of pale malt and nothing but Magnum hops (we really liked the way they smell when we used them for an Irish red)

Anyways when we took it out of the fermenter for bottling, we tasted it and it was great, tasted wonderful warm and flat, but whats stange is it tastes really strange now that its finished, I think it tastes like pepermint while my cobrewer thinks it tastes like ginger. Also smells like apple cider...

But either way it tastes weird. any ideas on what the heck is going on, I think its on the verge of undrinkable it tastes so strange, but my cobrewer seems to like it ok..

But any ideas?

How long has it been? My beer often goes through some interesting/wierd flavor changes when it's young. It really only settles out about 6 weeks after brewing.

rohanski said:
I'd let your cobrewer drink it all and you can drink something that you like.

Ha thats how its going sofar, we are wating on it a little though, kinda worried though because it tastes the same as it did a week ago.

Belgian ale yeast was used (was the only one at the store, we forgot to order some (DOH))

could very well be esters that your belgian yeast strain was designed to produce. you can't really go with whatever yeast is on hand. some can be substituted easily, others cannot.

O believe me, i know that for sure now, especially after this one AND accidentally mixing yeasts between a hef and an IPA... Those are both really weird tasting beers lol.

Back