Strong Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsiesener

Reaction score
I am on my first brew and it's an American Cream Ale (BB). It was in my primary for a week with a FG of 1.010 at the end of that week. When I opended up the bucket I thought I would smell it, and unfortunatley I took a deep
breath in and it made me go whoa! It was real strong and I want to say like alcohol, but really strong. I know this sounds stupid but I wish I could describe it better although I am new and not sure of all the smells. But like I said it almost knocked me over.
Any thoughts, I don't want to poison my self!

I'll leave the bulk of the science to Revvy if he shows up, but bottom line is that there is no way possible for the beer you make to harm you or anyone else. Nothing pathogenic can grow in beer. Now as far as the smell, a very young fermenter full of beer isn't the best smelling thing all the time. You need to follow through with the whole process before you even attempt to judge your beer. Let it stay in the fermenter for another week or so. Bottle it. Wait for at least 2 weeks. Chill a bottle for a couple days and drink and I'm betting that you've made some fine beer.

Thanks for the quick reply, it makes me feel better. I have already moved it to my carboy following the directions from the kit though, and was going to leave it in there for a week and then bottle. I really would like this to turn out well, I have alot of friends that I will have to hear from if it does not.

It's your first batch, so hopefully you don't beat yourself up too bad over any flaws. I'm sure it will turn out fine.

True enough about nothing in your fermentor that could in "no way possible for the beer you make to harm you or anyone else". However... depending how long the lid was off and how far you put your head in that bucket when you took a snoot full... you may have gotten a blast of CO2.... that's always a rush (unpleasant). I'm glad for you that it was not a huge comercial fermentor you could climb into. Just saying.....

True enough about nothing in your fermentor that could in "no way possible for the beer you make to harm you or anyone else". However... depending how long the lid was off and how far you put your head in that bucket when you took a snoot full... you may have gotten a blast of CO2.... that's always a rush (unpleasant). I'm glad for you that it was not a huge comercial fermentor you could climb into. Just saying.....

That's exactly what I did and the lid was only off for a very short time! So I now know not to do that. Probably wont be the last stupid thing that I do!!

You gotta love the smell of fermenting brew. I actually DARE my son to take a small whiff when I open my chest freezer ferment chamber. EEEEWWWWW! haha Every time. Hard to believe that something that tastes and smells sooooo good can smell soooooo bad being made.

Back