Ranger IPA Extract Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMJfan

Reaction score
So, last night I brewed a Ranger extract clone recipe that called for 2#'s of cane sugar which I forgot to add. Will this have any adverse effect on the beer itself? It still smelled great and fermentation has started less than 12 hours after pitching the yeast.

The recipe called for an OG of 1.061 and my OG came in at 1.051 without the 2#'s of cane sugar fwiw...

Ranger contains a lot of sugar for that signature dryness. For an extract version, you would need that sugar even more to help combat attenuation problems and taste more like the original beer. Go ahead and dissolve the sugar in a bit of boiling water. Cool it down (keeping everything sanitary) and pour in the primary. Immediately cover.

Ranger contains a lot of sugar for that signature dryness. For an extract version, you would need that sugar even more to help combat attenuation problems and taste more like the original beer. Go ahead and dissolve the sugar in a bit of boiling water. Cool it down (keeping everything sanitary) and pour in the primary. Immediately cover.

Exactly what I would have done if I forgot to add the sugar.
I almost forgot to add in half my dme and a lb of dex at the end of the boil of my last batch of hefe. :mug:

OP would you mind sharing the recipe you used? I've been looking for an extract recipe for this beer.

OP would you mind sharing the recipe you used? I've been looking for an extract recipe for this beer.

Here's the recipe I used:

Recipe Type - Extract
Batch Size - 6 Gal
Boil Time - 60 min
OG - 1.061
FG - 1.007

Bitterness - 67.3 IBU
ABV - 7.0%

Steeping Grains:

2.0 #'s Pale Malt (2 Row) US
0.5 #'s Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120

Extracts/Sugars:

4.0 #'s Light DME
2.0 #'s Cane Sugar

Hops:

Chinook - 1.00 oz - 60 min.
Simcoe - 0.50 oz - 30 min.
Cascade - 0.75 oz - 15 min.
Cascade - 0.50 oz - 0 min.
Cascade - 1.25 oz - Dry Hop

Recommended Yeast:

WLP051, Wyeast 1792, 1272

*I used the White Labs yeast for mine.

Steep Grains @ 148 F for 45 minutes. Remove grains and bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir in 2 #'s DME. Stir in remaining DME and Cane Sugar at 15 min. Follow hop schedule above to add hops.

EDIT:

Here is another recipe I will be using in the future:

Batch Type - Partial Mash
Batch Size - 6 Gallons
Boil Time - 60 min.
OG - 1.059
FG - 1.016

Bitterness - 60.0 IBU
ABV - 5.7%

Steeping Grains:

1 # 13 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US
0.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120

Extracts/Sugars:

4.0 #'s Light DME
2.0 #'s Cane Sugar

Hops:

Chinook - 1.00 oz - 60 min.
Simcoe - 0.50 oz - 30 min.
Cascade - 0.75 oz - 15 min.
Cascade - 0.50 oz - 0 min.
Cascade - 1.25 oz - Dry Hop

Recommended Yeast:

WLP051, Wyeast 1792, 1272

*I used the White Labs yeast for mine.

Steep Grains @ 148 F for 45 minutes. Remove grains and bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir in 2 #'s DME. Stir in remaining DME and Cane Sugar at 15 min. Follow hop schedule above to add hops.

C120 is quite much for this beer, especially 1/2 lb of it. Will taste like a sweet caramel raisiny ipa with a good deal of bitterness, but not enough aroma hops. Needs more late hop additions and dryhop, less hops at 60. Lastly, that's like 24% sugar in the recipe. Might want to reduce that to 15%. Doubt you'll hit 1.007 with a 2 lbs of 2-row, mostly extract, and WLP051. This would be a partial mash beer by the way, not extract since your using a mashing 2-row. What temp did you mash at?

Plus, I thought Simcoe was a much bigger part of Ranger than this recipe shows...am I wrong? Hope not. I just brewed what I hoped would be a maltier version, but with the Ranger hop profile and I used more Simcoe than this...

Yes, I was a little heavy on the C 120 but I was going off the BYO Ranger recipe and the hop schedule is what was in the BYO recipe...

I didn't have the issue of BYO that had the acutal recipe and I had found a recipe NB's forum that posted the BYO AG recipe that had a suggestion for extract by substituting the 8.5 #'s of Pale Malt with 4 #'s of DME but they failed to say how much pale malt to still use. So, I found another recipe on Hopville that seemed pretty close to the BYO recipe on NB's forum and that is where I got the amount of Pale Malt to use. I ordered grains based off of the Hopville recipe but I had to order a pound at a time so I ordered 2#'s of the Pale and 1# of the C120.

The problem I had was that the Hopville website was down due to construction on my brew day so I had to basically find yet another recipe to brew this and that recipe called for 1.8#'s of Pale so I figured rounding up to 2#'s wouldn't be that big of a deal. And that recipe also called for .4 #'s of C120 which is just under a half a pound. And again, they had the exact same hop schedule as 2 other recipes I had found.

I've since edited what the Hopville recipe is above and what I will be using in the future. I may have gone over on my grain amounts but I'm not too worried about it. It smelled great and I think it will still be a good beer. Maybe not an exact clone of Ranger, but I think it will still turn out to be a good IPA...

When you say add additional dme at 15 min. does that mean 15 min left or 15 min into the boil?

Back