Northern Baltic Porter question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GerryL

Reaction score
We brewed a Northern Brewer Baltic Porter kit, everything seemed to go well at first. OG was 1.070, right on the money. VERY active primary, we had to use a blow off tube for a few days. After about 2 weeks, it was down to 1 bubble every 3 minutes or so, reading was 1.030. Now, 3-1/2 weeks after transfering to secondary we got a reading of 1.036! Hmmm, maybe the 1.030 reading was in error? Anyway, this seems too high to bottle just yet. Temp has been within a couple degrees of 68ºF all the time. Not much seen for bubbling in secondary. It smells good though!
Any recommendations?
-Gerry & Robin

I'd say it's done. A bubble every few minutes is probably not fermentation, just degassing. You could try to rouse the yeast by gently agitating the fermenter, or by giving it a gentle stir. If that doesn't start it up again, it's probably not going any lower.

Maybe your hydrometer is wrong- did you try using it in plain 60 degree water to make sure it's correct? (Mine reads wrong, but it's .006 low)

Orfy's right- you're talking bottle bombs if you bottle it that high. Any ale yeast should attenuation higher than that. How does it taste? It should taste like sweet flat beer if it really is at 1.036. Really, if the reading is 1.036 or 1.030, it should still be in primary and not yet in secondary.

I'd repitch some dry yeast on it. A clean well attenuating dry yeast, like Nottingham should get things going again.

I believe the hydrometer is close to accurate because we've used it on some recent batches and got expected results. I do believe this batch stopped early, even though we had a heck of an active start. Maybe we'll pitch some dry yeast into it tonight and see what happens. Hmmm, the only yeast we have on hand are Safale 04 and 05. What are the chances of one of these helping?
Thanks!

Back