Priming sugar for Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm about to bottle my pumpkin ale, and I've always used dextrose in the past but was wondering if I should try brown sugar this time. Are there any benefits as far as taste or anything else goes and I've always used 1 cup of dextrose so should I use the same amount of brown sugar or more/less? Thanks for the help

I think brown sugar is perfect for a pumpkin ale, and the darker the better. The darker the sugar means the more residual carmally/mollasses flavor will remain after the yeast eats the fermentables.

That sounds like it would be really good. The only thing I would look for a chart online for carbonation. Also molasses sounds good in theory. But you might be onto something.

Mollases is touchy to prime with. I used date palm mollasses to prime my sri lankin stout and I regret it. It's just too intense and kind of takes away from it.

Back