You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
…… when you're getting text messages from people you don't even know, 'cause somebody said, that somebody said, that somebody said, that you homebrew, asking if you have any supply for them 'cause all the stores are closed.
My LHBS is considered an essential service in Washington State. He's got a commercial/wholesale license, is set up in a warehouse (not a retail space), keeps his big garage doors open, and for the past couple of weeks has always had a few socially distanced homebrewers taking advantage of work from home.

My LHBS is considered an essential service in Washington State. He's got a commercial/wholesale license, is set up in a warehouse (not a retail space), keeps his big garage doors open, and for the past couple of weeks has always had a few socially distanced homebrewers taking advantage of work from home.
Yeah, there are only 2 LHBS's in Tucson. One is a Mr. Brew store. 'Nuf said?

You know you’re a homebrewer when your spouse volunteers to wash the kitchen floor, but you say no wait until after I brew this next batch, just in case I spill some wort.

"Just in case?"
I never brew without taking a towel out of the hamper to deal with my 'just in case' situations.

Your ten towels brought to mind that time 15 years ago when I placed the second recently pitched fermenter on top of a too small table. It collapsed. 12 gallons of yeasty wort all over the basement kitchen floor. Under the molding, under the appliances, and under the relatively new laminate floor. Thank goodness my lovely bride wasn't home. An annoying multi hour clean-up. It took a while, but it eventually killed the new floor.

You know you're a homebrewer when, during a pandemic, you start hoarding brewmaking ingredients instead of hoarding groceries or toilet paper.

I just flashed back to the (pre-pandemic) time that my wife and I went to a grocery store that sold Belgian beer. I took a cooler. After buying necessities, like beer and chicken, I put the beer in the cooler and left the chicken in the grocery bag.

I can't tell if you're taking about a boil over or drunken incontinence.
:drunk:

People all around you are freaking out about the possibility of commercially produced beer becoming unavailable due to depletion of the CO2 stockpile after all the production plants shutting down from COVID 19, and you just sit there with a look on your face like...

epic_trollface.jpg

People all around you are freaking out about the possibility of commercially produced beer becoming unavailable due to depletion of the CO2 stockpile after all the production plants shutting down from COVID 19, and you just sit there with a look on your face like...

View attachment 681862

hmm, i keg....but now you got me thinking about an inline reg and half full keg with priming sugar, instead of a co2 tank.....

Your ten towels brought to mind that time 15 years ago when I placed the second recently pitched fermenter on top of a too small table. It collapsed. 12 gallons of yeasty wort all over the basement kitchen floor. Under the molding, under the appliances, and under the relatively new laminate floor. Thank goodness my lovely bride wasn't home. An annoying multi hour clean-up. It took a while, but it eventually killed the new floor.
Thanks for sharing this nightmare. Suddenly, my odd boil overs and mistakenly open valves don't seem nearly as bad...

View attachment 681862
Damn! Time to start bottling again and I don't have enough.

You know you're a homebrewer when your husband plans a lovely (mildly expensive) camping trip for the weekend, in a cabin instead of tent, where we can take the dogs, at a private resort that a dear friend runs (and gave us a heck of a good deal), and all you can think about is will we get home early enough on Monday to get a beer kegged, another moved to crashing, and still have time to enjoy some homebrew after three days away from it. And yes we did. Sanitized keg chilling right now, if I play my cards right and do the fast-carb method I'll be enjoying a glass of my american strong when I get home from work tonight at 10:30pm.

You're cleaning some stuff in the basement and say to yourself "Wow, I guess I don't need to buy that extra hydrometer to replace the one that broke so I have a spare(but you've been putting it off for months)" because you find a spare that you didn't know you had. Two is one and one is none..

Had our A/C serviced today. Had to lead the guy through to the breaker panel in the garage past my 4 tap keezer, my large-ish stainless brew rig not to mention the wall of bottles, and he didn't say a thing. Never glanced at all the paraphernalia nor did he acknowledge any of it. Weirdo, but I was prepared to send him off with a growler or two. Guess you know you're a home brewer when you are over prepared to share, just in case.

Last edited:
Yes and if you can watch the yeast as it flows around like a snow globe? Mesmerizing.
I can watch that for several minutes at a time. My ferment fridge has an alarm that goes off if the door is open too long, and I've been known to tell it to shut the eff up, I'm busy watching my beer here.

I can watch that for several minutes at a time. My ferment fridge has an alarm that goes off if the door is open too long, and I've been known to tell it to shut the eff up, I'm busy watching my beer here.
You know you're a homebrewer when your refrigerator door has an 'open too long' alarm LOL.

when the living room of your small apartment is filled with kegs, buckets, two large chest freezers, various tubing, and hand drawn beer labels stuck all over the walls

I guess that makes me more of an "apartment brewer" though

That was me for a year and a half. Upright fridge/freezer in the corner for kegerator/storage, storage table with shelves above and bucket storage below, and then a chest freezer ferm chamber. Top shelf of the coat closet was for bottle storage. Lots of people complain about not being able to do full batches in apartments but I never had any trouble.

Luckily I have a deal with SWMBO, she didn't care about the brewery and I didn't care how many pets we have. Both interests have only grown since buying a house last year! I now have a dedicated room in the basement complete with beer lines to the upstairs bar, and she's up to 2 cats, 3 geckos, 1 parakeet, and 4 hamsters.

I love my stainless conical, but I do miss watching the yeast go to town in the fermenter. Almost looks like it's boiling.
I'd miss that too. I love watching it swirl, sniffing the airlock and counting the bubbles per minute.

It would be cool to use a tilt or other fermentation logger to drive a video display, which would play a yeast swirling animation in the background that reacts in real time to the fermentation stats being presented in the foreground. Could even show the yeast storm on the right beer color via SRM.

You know you’re a homebrewer when, you visit your local butcher shop a half hour before closing and notice a couple open bottles of Corona and think to yourself what beer should I bring them on my next visit. I did say to them you need a better beer, being a German butcher.

Back