Ordinary Bitter Boddington's Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I fugged up; and used 2 ounces. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out as that's way too much..volume it looked like 3 tablespoons sooo..
I started with reverse osmosis water and added it to 10 gallons

Grams, Oz's, who's countin'? It will probably be fine (he says as he grabs his loins and rolls his eyes)... I'll drink it with ya man...

Btw, there is much discussion regarding brewing salts and 5.2 in the brew science forum. Many contend, myself included, that 5.2 doesn't get you what you want. It adds unneeded chemicals to your brew and doesn't even buffer at 5.2 (I'm sure I'll now be getting the wammy from the 5.2 guy). If you are starting with RO and use http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/ by the wickedly brilliant TH (HBT) member you can figure out which salts to add to get you the brew you want. You don't need no stinkin' 5.2, yer a better man than that.. Once you get the correct salts your mash + salts will get you the mash that works and produces just what you want. You can do it!

Thanks...I'm a relative neby..only been all grain brewing about a year so it's a work in prgress..I used Burtons and 5.2 with the RO water.

I'll need to dial in the water chemistry soon. The beer I'm making is pretty damn good but I'm sure can be improved.

:off:Send your water to Ward labs in our great countries heartland and put your results in the brew science forum and you'll get hooked up.

http://www.wardlab.com/

You want a W6, if you check out the sticky's in the brew science forum, Bobby_M has some great videos on the subject and he steps you through sending the water out to wards too.

Hi Boddy fans,

I'm boiling this one right now. It should be good. My LHBS guy was a little confused at the units - even the converted ones, but I should be fine. I use the fly sparge, but I don't think that'll make much difference. I usually brew based on the hops I've grown, but decided to try something different. I thought that it was interesting that the Northern Brewer hops I got were from Germany and the Nottingham Yeast was from Austria.

My setup is for 5 gallons, so I expect this to be a little stronger than advertised. I wanted to make something that would be ready for my wife's end of the year teacher's party.

FWIW, Ive made this 5-6 times now, and it was drinkable after 3 weeks. it was better when i let it sit for 2 months... but thats the best part of bitters, super fast :)

I believe I have 4-1/12 weeks to the party.

Its chugging away. With the warm weather, I expect the fermentation may speed up a bit. The recipe called for 10 days ferment and 2 weeks in bottles, but I use a keg. I may have brewed more than I need as I usually use whole hops and this time I didn't. I don't know how much water the whole hops take up - maybe 1/4 gallon?

My OSG was 1.040 @ 88F so I'm in the ballpark there.

As far as the water goes, I've haven't mastered that either. I recently bought the Palmer book that gets into that. Based on the color of the beer and what I see on my water analysis, it seems to say, don't add anything for a lighter colored beer, but that I need to add something (baking soda?) for the darker beer. The spreadsheet looks great. My wife says we get some film from our water, so she doesn't think the water is a soft as the analysis says.

Just wanted to chime in on this and say I love the recipe. I just ordered my 4th and 5th batch of this. All have come out just great and I love the taste. Thanks!

My first attempt got infected and had to pitch it..one of 2..
Seems I've got my sanitation under control again so I have this boiling away right now.

I'm using
1.0 oz Amarillo whole leaf 45m
2.0 oz EKG whole leaf 15m

Preboil is 8.25g so this is going to have to boil at least 90m

Yeast: London Ale III starter 1750 ml. ..used some to fill few vile for future use in my frozen yeast bank will use the rest on this batch.

I'm having trouble keeping up with demand..I may have to limit what I serve at our summer gatherings...it's too much work ehh wtf

Has anyone had problems getting this to clear in the keg? Maybe I did something wrong. I didn't do a secondary, so perhaps that is the problem. The beer seems carbonated properly in the keg, but there is still yeast in the beer.

I did a primary of around 10 days.
I keg conditioned for about 7 days
I carbonated in the keezer about 14 days.

Another possible issue was that this fermented at a warmer temp. than the recipe called for - perhaps 70-72F.

I suppose I could try some finings, but I haven't had much experience with that.

It has a creamy head and tastes good except for the yeast in it. Some might call that "yeast bite".

The keg is at 42F now. I'll put it down to 35F or so and see if that helps.

Greetings all!

How much effect do you think substituting flaked barley for the carapils/dextrine would have? I have some of the former on hand and would like to use it up, but have no problem buying the latter if making the change doesn't make sense.

its your beer.... the carapils will give it body and mouthfeel... this can be done by mashing at a higher temp. as to the flaked barley.... it will give it some oily flaver... could be good... but I would hold the barley for a stout :p but thats me.

thanks! Carapils/dextrine it is...a stout was going to follow this anyway so...

I had Boddingtons at the July 4th family picnic yesterday and Boddingtons pancakes this morning. My wife said they smelled funny but tasted OK. I put in flax seed, corn meal, wheat germ and pancake mix. I figured the extra carbonation and yeast would make up for the extra grains I put in with the mix. They turned out pretty good with blueberries and strawberries.

Jmass ... did you use a starter? Usually "yeast bite" is from adding too much yeast. Also, I'm a big fan of using a secondary. Chances are pretty good that you didn't ferment long enough, so it continued fermenting in the keg. 10 days in a primary and 7 in a keg sounds too short for my tastes. I usually aim for 7 days in primary and 14 in a secondary followed by 7 days of keg conditioning.

Jmass ... did you use a starter? Usually "yeast bite" is from adding too much yeast. Also, I'm a big fan of using a secondary. Chances are pretty good that you didn't ferment long enough, so it continued fermenting in the keg. 10 days in a primary and 7 in a keg sounds too short for my tastes. I usually aim for 7 days in primary and 14 in a secondary followed by 7 days of keg conditioning.

Hi jusware,

This was a while ago. I'm quite sure I used Nottingham dry yeast, so there wasn't any starter. I thought I had read of some other problems with this yeast. Anyway, I eventually used gelatin which settled out the yeast after a while. This may have made more yeast for a while as all the yeast went to the bottom.

Thanks for the advice on the secondary. Advice to self - sometimes cutting corners doesn't work out. I was also trying to hurry this beer up to get to my wife's end of year school party which ended up not taking place.

following this to the recipe but on reading Graham wheelers book, he often suggests using considerably more yeast than the 5gm packs you get from brew shops, so I have made a 24gm SO4 starter 24 hours before I start to brew, whats the opinion on this will I be fine, would hate to end up with yeast bite!

:mug:

Ste41, I would not be worried. I used 22 grams of Notty and expect it to do exactly what I want it to.

In the bucket, we'll see how she goes! Cheers and thanks for the recipe

what water profile should i aim for when brewing this?
london or burton?

I'd balance your water a bit on the bitter side of the CL/SO4 ratio... but not a severe as the Burton profile at all. Tons of Gypsom in Burton which leads to an extreme ratio.

This beer is a staple around here and I've made over 10 batches last year. I have brewed with a .5 ratio of CL/SO4 and the brew is fantastic.

Also, if you search the web there are so many different profiles for london and burton you mine's well just balance your own water on the bitter side...

I finished by AG keg of this a little while ago. This was great. I followed the recipe exactly except the yeast, which I used wyeast 1968. It was super flocculant too. I wish mine was creamier tasting, but that's probably an issue with my carbonation techniques. Thanks for the recipe Orfy!

I'll have to give this one a go, I'm sat almost within line of sight of the original Boddies brewery and can still just about remember when it was a pretty decent beer.

So I made this is in June and my mom, who never ever drinks anything came to visit recently, tried one, and had to go home with a 6-er. Insanely yummy. Thanks for the recipe!

I recently got a stout faucet. The first ale I brewed for it was from the Pale Ale book by Terry Foster. I believe it was a special bitters. OSG about 1.043 and FSG 1.007 as I recall. Anyway on nitrogen, it reminds me of the currently available Boddingtons if that is what you are aiming for. Like a recent poster, I also used some of my homegrown Willamette hops along with the Goldings as I recall.

Did you get a chance to brew this yet? I'm debating between brewing this or Orfy's Mild for a quick turnaround.

Not yet. I was thinking about it tonight on the way home.

I need to get this going though.

I have a friend from the motorcycle interwebs who lives in Ireland coming through town in about eight weeks and No. 2 child's graduation party right after that.

Heading to pickup ingredients to brew this one now. I've got S-04 & Notty in the fridge...will likely use dry for ease. Which has been preferred for this recipe?

Are the EKG hops to prevent heart attacks??? ;)

I hope you meant KEG...Kent East Goldings :rockin:

There is another website out there that I think is Orfy's. It uses the phrase: Goldings, East Kent.

Anyway, I'm looking at brewing a partial mash version of this, and since I did the math anyway, here's the recipe in "English" units ;):

7.25 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter
.55 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
.264 lb Crystal Malt 60L
1 oz Chocolate Malt

Hopping schedule:
1oz Northern Brewer, First Wort Hops
1oz EKG (45 minutes)
1oz EKG (0 minutes AKA flameout)

Feel free to round off at your convenience :p.

Any advice out there on which malt extract to use to replace the Maris Otter?

I think I screwed up at the LHBS. I only got 1 ounce of chocolate malt. I have some spare around here.

I'm using:
7-3/4lb Maris Otter
1/2lb Carapils
1/4lb Crystal Malt
1-oz chocolate malt

First Wort Hops. The adding the hops to the first wort, is that supposed to save time in boiling? Could someone shed a little light on that for me please? Should I start the first wort boiling and then add the sparge water to it as I pull it?

I usually wait till I get three pots full and start boiling. I can keep track of my hopping easier this way.

I mix them at the end when I put the wort into the fermentors. I aerate it during the mixing also.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Bill

Don't quote me on this but I thought the FWH procedure was basically to through the hops in the boil kettle before anything else goes in there and then drain your runnings ontop of them and basically procede as normal from there. again don't quote me ;)

Latest posts

Back