Flask or Jar for stirplate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegionalChaos

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to finish getting my stir plate together. I'm wondering what all people are using for the jar / flask etc.. What does this vessel need? Just a flat bottom? I know the flasks are nice, but is there anything more convenient or cheaper that can be used? Any good sources for ordering stir bars cheaply?

Thanks!

I use a flask. Actually, I have two flasks so that I can step up starters from bottle dregs.

I have used mason and other jars in the past, as well as other containers like jugs, but the bottoms are a bit curved and that throws the stir bar sometimes.

Question: Flask or Jar?

Answer: Absolutely, yes!

:D

Another possibility I like (but haven't tried yet) is a glass flower vase. I'm thinking something like this http://www.wholesaleflowersandsupplies.com/store/p/721-Glass-Ginger-Vase-7-1-4-.html will make for greater surface area since it expands out as you go up which it theory should allow for more o2 uptake. I would probably fill it only to the maximum width to maximize exposed surface area.

I have a 1000ml erlmeyer flask for normal starters and a gallon jug for larger starters. For 5 gallon batches a 2000ml e-flask would be all you need. The E-flask is nice in that it has a flat bottom and does not throw the stir bar, the jug does but just needs to be adjusted every so often. 3 liters of starter comes in handy though. I got my stir bars from AHBS.

So what I'm getting is that I'll need to buy stirbars, but I can probably scrounge some sorta jar / flask for the actual starter, and should look at the 2L size. I think I'll go that route for now. I stopped by a Goodwill and found the craziest bottle. For 99 cents I figured I better pick it up. It is shaped and sized as that of a 1000ml flask, however the bottom is stamped "Federal Law Forbids Sale or Re-Use of this Bottle." The sides have small depressions that look like a decorative vase might have. The top has a really wide lip around the edge of it... Crazy..

The interwebs tell me:

If your bottle has these words embossed it was made between 1932 - 1964
These words were required on liquor bottles after prohibition was lifted.

Groovy :)

So what I'm getting is that I'll need to buy stirbars, but I can probably scrounge some sorta jar / flask for the actual starter, and should look at the 2L size. I think I'll go that route for now. I stopped by a Goodwill and found the craziest bottle. For 99 cents I figured I better pick it up. It is shaped and sized as that of a 1000ml flask, however the bottom is stamped "Federal Law Forbids Sale or Re-Use of this Bottle." The sides have small depressions that look like a decorative vase might have. The top has a really wide lip around the edge of it... Crazy..

The interwebs tell me:

If your bottle has these words embossed it was made between 1932 - 1964
These words were required on liquor bottles after prohibition was lifted.

Groovy :)

Pictures???

Be advised the stir bar should match the length of the spread of your stir plate magnets. The e-flasks are flat bottomed so the bar sits flat and closer to the magnets on the stir plate. I think this makes the bars length less an issue and makes it more stable. Test drive your setup and check it regularly. My large 1 gallon jug throw the bar sometimes.

Pictures???

flaskx.jpg

flask2.jpg

looks like an older wine carafe should work well for starters but dont put it on the heat or put hot wort into it most likely will shatter. make the starter in a pot let it cool and then put it in the flask

Sounds like sound advice. I'll test the size later, but now that I know it's an old spirit bottle of some sort, I'm guessing its 750mls.

Sounds like sound advice. I'll test the size later, but now that I know it's an old spirit bottle of some sort, I'm guessing its 750mls.

Given it's age it is probably a fifth. I used to have a Makers Mark bottle that gave it's size as "four fifths quart"

Back