my brewing rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinkaseykizer

Reaction score
Well i've decided to get on the wagon and build me a single tier system. Spent a lot of my time yesturday cutting and welding and have lotsssss more to do. building this stand is almost as fun as brewing!!!

Build pics can be found here: http://picasaweb.google.com/kkizer/KizerBrewhaus#

photo%287%29.jpg

brewstand1.jpg

IMG_1442.JPG

btw i'm using 1x1 square tubing and its more than strong enough for the build.

the stand is 58"x17"x33" I plan on putting a bottom shelf on it to and casters

Why so tall?

for some reason i was in la la land dreaming i was a bball player making millions and 7 foot tall.. so after i came back to reality i've noticed i need to make it a bit shorter lol easy to do. Going to do some more welding on it tomorrow and pick up some burners from acadamy sports during lunch.

Kevin,

Looking real good! I agree, building the brewery is as much fun as brewing. One comment though. The stand looks high. If you are going to remove a keggle or kettle full of wet grain it's gonna be awful heavy. Lowering the stand a touch my make it a little easier on the back. Just a suggestion, for all I know you may be an Olympic weight lifter.:D

I'd doing a build also, If you guys think it's too high, what height is "standard"?

I'd doing a build also, If you guys think it's too high, what height is "standard"?

I prefer to have the stand at a height that you can look in the kettles and that is easy to stir you mash.
This is pretty easy to do on a single tier system.

Pat

RK there is no standard, you just need to be comfortable in removing a full keggle from it. My current stand places the top of the keggles at about the middle of my chest. This allows for easy additions and a good view. It is equipped with a tippy dump so I never need to remove the keggle. My first stand was much lower placing the top of the keggle at waist level for easy keggle removal.

I see your motorcycle sitting all alone. You are talking to her as you build this thing...aren't you?
Seriously, looking good. That's what I want in the future but I am over six foot tall so I liked the height of the first picture.

Going to try to finish up as much as i can this weekend, my only problem is i can't seem to find a good write up on making a gas manifold to hook up my propane tank to the burners. andyone have adivise? cheap is good :)

on another note, i found these burners at my local Acadamy sports for only $9. I'm not sure what the btu's are but i swapped one out with my burner on my elcheapo turkey fryer and it was a lot more btu's than what came with it. In that case i shouldn't have any trouble with my boils :)

burner.jpg

Ok so i got a lot done this weekend!

i cut the stand down 7 inches and added caster. Built a gas manifold with half inch black pipe, ball valves, and 3/8th copper hose and flare fittings.

ignore the messy garage, did a lot of work and was to tired to clean up for the photo shoot with my camera phone lol
photo%283%29.jpg

photo%282%29.jpg

photo.jpg

Can you get good flame adjustment with those ball valves? I used needle valves, they were cheaper and more adjustable. If you turned the manifold 90* pointing under the stand you would still have access to the valves and open up a lot of space on the bottom shelf. Just a thought.

Can you get good flame adjustment with those ball valves? I used needle valves, they were cheaper and more adjustable. If you turned the manifold 90* pointing under the stand you would still have access to the valves and open up a lot of space on the bottom shelf. Just a thought.

I haven't tried with those valves yet but I've heard others say they aren't as good as needle valves. I'm going to play around with it some more tonight. I see your point with moving the manifold.

Need to order my pump and hoses..etc so i can get that mounted.

IMG_1425.JPG

Used the stand this weekend to brew a batch even tho i dont have my pump yet..

everything went well but i can't wait to get things pumping instead of pouring lol

You should put some heat sheilds on there to concentrate the heat on the bottom of your pots and keep the wind from blowing the flame around.
It looks very nice BTW.

Pat

You should put some heat sheilds on there to concentrate the heat on the bottom of your pots and keep the wind from blowing the flame around.
It looks very nice BTW.

Pat

Yeah i've got that on my "TO DO" list might get some time this xmas weekend to do that

thanks btw!

haha i thought so too. I assume you're planning on switching to a kettle?

you mean i can't use that burner to keep my Plastic Cooler warm?

Guess i'll have to find me a stainless steel MLT :) :mug:

I'm hunting around for some kegs so i can go to 10 gallon batches and i'll keep this stuff for 5 gallon batches

looking real good. i'm getting ready to build my stand as soon as i can find some metal. How much did your metal cost for this stand? did you order online or local? if online, please share your source.

looking real good. i'm getting ready to build my stand as soon as i can find some metal. How much did your metal cost for this stand? did you order online or local? if online, please share your source.

I found a guy locally on craigslist who's father(who passed away) had 3 big shops behind his out full of metal that he is selling. I got 1x1 tubing for a fraction of the price that you could get it from a metal supplier. In fact i bought enough to build 2 more brewing stands.

So if anyone wants to buy one from me shot me a pm ;)

I just picked up my 2x2 SS for my BT. 3 bills and change for it all cut and ready to weld. I knew I was gonna take a hit on it but it's worth it. any advice on where to buy pumps?

I found a guy locally on craigslist who's father(who passed away) had 3 big shops behind his out full of metal that he is selling. I got 1x1 tubing for a fraction of the price that you could get it from a metal supplier. In fact i bought enough to build 2 more brewing stands.

So if anyone wants to buy one from me shot me a pm ;)

PM sent.

For the pumps.
Most HBS sell them. 140 is average pricing. You can find them for more and less.
March809 seems to be the pick for homebrewing applications.

I just picked up my 2x2 SS for my BT. 3 bills and change for it all cut and ready to weld. I knew I was gonna take a hit on it but it's worth it. any advice on where to buy pumps?

Rebelbrewer.com seems to have the best prices i've seen and luckly he is local :) Hes a vendor on here as well.

very nice looking rig so far, im building one myself and working on the gas side of things tomorrow, i think i am going to keep the regulators on my flexible propane lines and have them hooked together with only 1 line going to the tank (for right now at least) or i might use the soft copper like you did, not sure yet....keep the pics coming!

I took your advise and raised the burners and finally got around to painting and building some heat shields. Now i just need my pump, hoses and some kettles :)

heres some updated pictures

IMG_1438.JPG

IMG_1439.JPG

IMG_1440.JPG

IMG_1441.JPG

IMG_1442.JPG

Back