Wine soaked Oak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joetuo

Reaction score
I have some American Oak that has been soaking in a cab for quite some time and I want to toss it into a wild brew, but I am not sure if I should just toss the chips + wine or just the chips....I have added bourbon soaked oak to a stout before and added it all, just not sure about the wine.

Thanks

MY first thought is keep it clean and minimize the wine getting into your brew. My second thought is that you are not going to get much "oak" flavor from used chips...Good luck.

I have done something similar with a port. I added both the cubes and port all into 2ndary and it came out really nice. What is your base beer?

I am brewing a Temptation clone within the next month. I currently have 3oz french oak chips soaking in some chardonnay. You could just pitch the oak chips into your batch then add some fresh chardonnay to give it a little better flavor. How long have you been soaking the chips for? Cheers!

The chips will be soaking 4 weeks on Saturday....I have it in a mason jar and I have opened it a few times and the wine smells like some really intense oak so I will probably end up pitching the whole thing in so any oak flavor the wine took out can still get in the beer...I think it is about a cup of wine, so a cup in 5 gallons shouldn't make a huge difference to the beer....right?

Back