Milled Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanuckBrewing

Reaction score
So using a homemade mill from a pasta maker...i threw in some barley as a test run to see what came out. This is what i got, and i was wondering if people could give me their opinion if it needs to be crushed more...or less...or if it is even good at all?

627.jpg

628.jpg

It looks like a good crush to me, although I crush mine a little finer. The best test is to mash some and see what your extraction percentage is and then adjust the crush if needed. What type of pasta maker did you use? Did you modify it in any way? Could you send a pic of it? I think it's a brilliant idea!
mark
Beer Diary...

I think you need a finer crush. I see a lot of uncrushed kernels and ones that only have the husk split but little damage to the kernel.
Maybe run the same grain through again...

You want to find a balance between cracked and pulverized. I tend to go towards the pulverized side of the crush. When I was first taught to brew I was told that as long as the grain husk is split or cracked that was good. Since then I have found that my efficiency (extraction) has increased dramatically with a severe crush. Some are afraid of a 'stuck mash' if they crush too much, but I have never had that experience.
What is the cost of those pasta rollers?
Also, deep cross hatching on the rollers may help.
mark
Beer Diary...

do you put a hopper to help you with the milling? I saw a thread awhile back on modified pasta maker by roughening the roller... i wonder if that needs to be done to improve work... honestly, I don't want to ruin my pasta maker yet.

you roughen the roller so it helps grab the grain. I went out bought a cheap crappy pasta roller and took a dremmel tool to it. Ground it up, made it nice and rough. In the future i will be attaching a hopper to it. Whether it is a nice looking one, or a crappy plastic tupperware container with a slit in the bottom i havent decided.

Yea that's not a good enough crush, there's still intact husks. Remember, crush until you're scared! (and keep a bag of rice hulls around in case you crushed it too fine)

Back