Brew Boss Systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh ok. I didn't see the custom order link. I thought they could only do max 15" diameter and 15" height. That would be too small for my pot. I'll have to email them to find out pricing for what I need.

So you would make the filter and inch smaller than the pot's diameter giving .5" space all around?

Yea. I thought I would've had more space than I did. I'm not sure their measurement includes the thickness of the side supports. Make sure to measure you're inner kettle diameter.

The filter was pricey but i can't argue, it is custom designed exactly to my kettle. I also got 4 of the hangers so that I can sit it over the kettle, disconnect the winch and do a quick sparge, if necessary. That's how I have it propped up in the picture above.

Yeah I saw those. Nice touch. If you are doing a lighter brew (in terms of grain weight) you may not even need a winch.

Definitely pricey but if it keeps out more grain than a bag, it is worth it. The bag it came with isn't bad but it definitely isn't the best.

Yeah I saw those. Nice touch. If you are doing a lighter brew (in terms of grain weight) you may not even need a winch.

Definitely pricey but if it keeps out more grain than a bag, it is worth it. The bag it came with isn't bad but it definitely isn't the best.

Good point. Though I opted for drilled holes instead of a handle so I'll have to use the lynch regardless.

Amongst other benefits, the big selling point for me was getting the max grain capacity possible and getting it as low as possible in the kettle to accommodate 5 gal batches.

Anyone try doing a sour mash or sour kettling with the brew boss...seems like the perfect setup to control your temps for the souring process...going to give it a try next weekend...start on Friday..and let it sour until Sunday evening

Am really excited about a 15 gallon COFI, but I need the ability to do a low volume mash, at least for the first step which is a 30 minutes at 104, target volume is .6 qt/ LBS

What is the lowest volume mash that could be done with this system or that anyone has tried?

I am moving soon and am definitely interested in something like this (electric+ebiab+automation). Current setup is cooler mash tun and outdoor propane. My only concern is that the 20 gallon COFI can't do 5 gallon batches , but I'm probably ok with that (I would go with the 15 gallon but reluctant due to the 20ish lb grain limit for 10 gallon batches). I'll probably wait until there is a sale before I purchase.

Thanks to everyone in the thread providing feedback on this ... definitely helpful.

Brad, Just a heads up... I posted to the Facebook page asking about a sale and was told the next one would be Black Friday.

Brad, Just a heads up... I posted to the Facebook page asking about a sale and was told the next one would be Black Friday.

Thanks Freddy. I'll try and wait until then. It is also tempting to go the route you did with a custom kettle - would be nice to not have to worry about how much grain and be able to do 5,10 or 15 gallon batches

Thanks Freddy. I'll try and wait until then. It is also tempting to go the route you did with a custom kettle - would be nice to not have to worry about how much grain and be able to do 5,10 or 15 gallon batches

It's hard to compare the exact cost difference, as I opted for some upgraded parts/fittings/welds/etc., but i can tell you I spent $373 (+ many hours of online research) more than what I would've spent on buying the 20 gallon pre-configured deluxe system w/ COFI. That includes shipping.

I think I posted this on the other Brew Boss thread but had anyone tried making a pumpkin beer on one of these systems? I've got a recipe all weighed out and reayd to go but Ive been putting it off cause Im not sure if itll clog up my whole deal.

I plan on using 3-4 cans of pumpkin in the mash like I have in the past for BIAB pumpkin beers. Ive got a COFI one with the whirlpool attachment and plate chiller. I suspect the plate chiller may be the issue if anything. Maybe its just a matter of cleaning everything out as soon as the wort is sealed in a fermentor...

I've done one ...it's a sticky mess but works fine ...wouldn't worry about the plate chiller ...

It's hard to compare the exact cost difference, as I opted for some upgraded parts/fittings/welds/etc., but i can tell you I spent $373 (+ many hours of online research) more than what I would've spent on buying the 20 gallon pre-configured deluxe system w/ COFI. That includes shipping.

So I've been looking at a bunch of threads including this one, and decided to go DIY on the controller (or maybe the brewtronix controller), but I got my kettle @ Colorado Brewing Systems. Haven't received it yet, but other unboxings here and their communication has been really really good. They got a 400u basket (no lid) that you can combine (a 20g comes out to around $558 w/ triclamps).

Freddy, loving this setup. I will likely replicate. If so, I will fly to PA and buy you a beer for having done all the research! Question: I do like the squeezing capability of the brew boss COFI - do you plan on squeezing the grains at all, and if so, how would you do it? Also, was there a reason you did not go with a handle on the basket? Thanks!

Question: I do like the squeezing capability of the brew boss COFI - do you plan on squeezing the grains at all, and if so, how would you do it? Also, was there a reason you did not go with a handle on the basket? Thanks!

Thanks! I'll take you up on that.

I can't wait to brew on it. I am planning to start a separate build thread since the only BB component is the controller and element (don't want to draw the conversation from true BB users) but wanted to wait until i was further along in my brewery rebuild.

The no handle decision was based on a few factors. First, the handle adds extra diameter to the basket. I would have had to go with probably a .75-1 inch smaller diameter basket if I got the handle because the ends stick out further than the basket. I was also concerned about the weight of the basket when making bigger beers being too much for the handle to, well, handle.

My plan is to get some beefy cable and "S" hooks and connect them to the winch. I'll draw the basket out of the kettle via the 3 holes, put the 4 hangers on the kettle rim, and then lower it back down into the draining position, seen in the pic i uploaded.

My brewery design has my upright ferm fridge next to the brew stand. I bought a cheap, $40 induction burner that I plan to put on top of the fridge to heat a separate kettle of sparge water.

Once the basket is in place, I can put the lid back on with the recirc arm attached, recirculate the wort for a minute to create a grain bed, then switch the hose over to the sparge kettle and gravity drain from on top of the fridge through the sparge arm. None of this 1 hour sparge BS, I plan to take no more than 10 minutes for the sparge.

My thinking here is that resetting the grain bed will help minimize flour in the kettle, a personal pet peeve of mine. I'm planning to find a cheap, SS plate that I can throw on top of the grain bed after the sparge so that I can squeeze if I accidentally end up low on volume.

Does that all make sense?

I think I posted this on the other Brew Boss thread but had anyone tried making a pumpkin beer on one of these systems? I've got a recipe all weighed out and reayd to go but Ive been putting it off cause Im not sure if itll clog up my whole deal.

I plan on using 3-4 cans of pumpkin in the mash like I have in the past for BIAB pumpkin beers. Ive got a COFI one with the whirlpool attachment and plate chiller. I suspect the plate chiller may be the issue if anything. Maybe its just a matter of cleaning everything out as soon as the wort is sealed in a fermentor...

I did my first one last year and put the pumpkin in a separate bag and put that directly in the mash, worked pretty well. I was using baked pumpkin chunks, lightly mashed up, so not quite the same as puree out of a can.

Like MerlinWerks I put the pumpkin in a separate bag inside the mash bag. I did use the puree and had no issues. Anything that slips into the wort will settle out in fermentation. Mine turned out great and was probably one of the most popular beers I've ever brewed amongst my friends. They've been asking me to make it again since it kicked. I'll be doing 10 gallons this year.

Has anyone had any issues with flour scorching on the element? It came up in another thread and was wondering if anyone runs into that problem with BB. I'd imagine we'd be hearing all about it if that were the case.

Has anyone had any issues with flour scorching on the element? It came up in another thread and was wondering if anyone runs into that problem with BB. I'd imagine we'd be hearing all about it if that were the case.

Not in 15 or so batches, including wheat and rye. There is always some residue on the element after a brew that comes right off with some BKF...

Not in 15 or so batches, including wheat and rye. There is always some residue after a brew that comes right off with some BKF...

I'll second this. Got a little crazy with my mill and made a bunch of flour. When I drained the kettle the bottom had a giant gob of flour in it and when finished fermenting, my carboy had 2 times as much trub as I normally have.

I was worried my beer would taste like burned grains, however I am drinking one now and it is a great beer, absolutely no burned taste.

Looks like Darin is going to do a decent upgrade to the Brew Boss app. I received this in an e-mail, suppose to be out sometime in September. The keyboard covering up brew steps error has been the most annoying thing to me using the Brew Boss App, I'm looking forward to using it:

Darin Danelski said:
Version 1.20 is the most significant update to the Brew-Boss app yet! It includes many changes requested by users. It also includes user interface enhancements as well as new features.

Here is a list of new features and changes to the Brew-Boss APP:

• Now includes an "Import BeerXML" feature that will automatically create step definition files from any BeerXMl file. This allows you to directly export your recipes from programs like BeerSmith into Brew-Boss!
  • New brew step editing system that is more user friendly and eliminates the issue with keyboard covering up brew steps on some tablets.
  • Added support for the upcoming Hops-Boss with "Hot Break" detection.
  • Added ability to use your home wireless network rather than Brew-Boss always being the wi-fi Server
  • Added a Step Type 5 for chilling. You can now set a cooling setpoint!
  • Use standard Android file dialogs for saving and loading files making the system more user friendly.
  • Time entries are now using a time entry in hours and minutes rather than just minutes.
  • Timer can now be set up to 24 hours (great for using the Brew-Boss as a SousVide).
  • Power that pump uses is now included int he total power (KWH) calculation.
  • Bug Fix - Save Current Brew Steps did not save any recent changes until the brew steps edit page was exited. Now any changes are saved immediately when the "Save Brew Steps" is invoked.
  • Added e-mail address entry for alerts. If you select the alarm flag in a brew step, Brew-Boss can now send you a text message or e-mail that includes the step prompt. So, for example, if you are away from the system while the kettle is heating to strike temperature for example. Brew-Boss can send you a text message when the strike temperature is reached and it is time for you to add the grains!
  • More thorough logging of internal functions.

This update is only for the Android version initially, once it becomes stable, it will be ported to the iOS version. Please be aware that because of the extensive rewriting required to facilitate these changes, there will be undiscovered bugs. Please report any bugs or issues with the new version so we can implement fixes.

Updates look great...really excited for the text/email alerts and importing beerxml files for step mash recipes

I'm really interested to see how the import works. That would be great to be able to develop the recipe and steps completely in BeerSmith, then just import them over.

So I just finished my first ever all grain brew using my 15 gallon Brew Boss system (with COFI), and I have to say I really love it. It's actually my first ever all grain brew, and I had a general question which Darin from Brew Boss has given some recommendations on already, just thought I'd throw it out here too to get some other opinions.

My brew efficiency seemed to be much much lower than I expected. I think I only got an overall efficiency of around 53% which sounds very low. I was making what I thought was a IPA, almost DIPA, but looks like it might be a pale instead :-s

10lbs 2-row
1lb white wheat
1lb oats
1lb corn sugar

Mashed at 148F, I wanted to get it as dry as I could. Not to style, I know, but each to their own, right?

Anyway, I set up my own Brew Boss profile guesstimate in BeerSmith, before the official profiles were released, and it said I should expect an SG of around 1.075 with 74% efficiency estimate. I ended up with 1.056. So considerably below what I hoped for.

Other info - I used carbon filtered municipal water. No other water treatment, and I don't know what the crush of the grain was, I had the store crush it for me. Thoughts?

So I just finished my first ever all grain brew using my 15 gallon Brew Boss system (with COFI), and I have to say I really love it. It's actually my first ever all grain brew, and I had a general question which Darin from Brew Boss has given some recommendations on already, just thought I'd throw it out here too to get some other opinions.

My brew efficiency seemed to be much much lower than I expected. I think I only got an overall efficiency of around 53% which sounds very low. I was making what I thought was a IPA, almost DIPA, but looks like it might be a pale instead :-s

10lbs 2-row
1lb white wheat
1lb oats
1lb corn sugar

Mashed at 148F, I wanted to get it as dry as I could. Not to style, I know, but each to their own, right?

Anyway, I set up my own Brew Boss profile guesstimate in BeerSmith, before the official profiles were released, and it said I should expect an SG of around 1.075 with 74% efficiency estimate. I ended up with 1.056. So considerably below what I hoped for.

Other info - I used carbon filtered municipal water. No other water treatment, and I don't know what the crush of the grain was, I had the store crush it for me. Thoughts?

I also had a drop in efficiency from my previous BIAB (manual stirring) to my COFI self recirculating system. I figured I wouldve had a gain but Ive been consistently getting aroudn 65%, used to be 75%.

I think it may be that I dont have the pump on very open for max flow or else my grains come out the top. I recently discovered this little trick during my last brew. If you have a COFI system , it may help. Still need to test more

Other thigns may be a miscalibration in the thermometer?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7073724#post7073724

I also had a drop in efficiency from my previous BIAB (manual stirring) to my COFI self recirculating system. I figured I wouldve had a gain but Ive been consistently getting aroudn 65%, used to be 75%.

I think it may be that I dont have the pump on very open for max flow or else my grains come out the top. I recently discovered this little trick during my last brew. If you have a COFI system , it may help. Still need to test more

Other thigns may be a miscalibration in the thermometer?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7073724#post7073724

Darin reckons the most common cause in efficiency with these systems is water profile. As it was my first all grain, I didn't do anything adjustments except filter my water.

I don't think it's my temp probe. I usually do a secondary check with a thermapen and they match pretty well.
I feel there must be more to it than that if he says users typically quote 70 - 85% efficiency with these systems, and they usually use 76% at their number for calculations. Could my water profile really have that big an impact??

Also, anyone used the Beer Smith Brew Boss profiles yet? I was really please to see they showed up in the add-ons, haven't had a chance to use them, but they are definitely different to the guesstimated Brew Boss profile I created myself....

I wondered if it was my water, but I was getting 75% consistently using my old system with the same water...or I'd think it was the same. I moved 1 block away and had the get the Brew Boss to be able to brew there. Same water provider and everything....

10lbs 2-row

1lb white wheat

1lb oats

1lb corn sugar

How much water are you starting with? Sounds like you may be using too much water

I am getting 70% efficiency with the Brew Boss and COFI. I still do check my gravity, however the system is dial right into to what beersmith tells me it will be, and I am consistently hitting the numbers I expect too. Similar to you I used a carbon filter and local (Salt Lake City) water.

I put my entire water to be used in at once and do not sparge. I do usually run the with the ball value on the COFI either open or near to open, and I have not run into any problems with the temperature probe becoming exposed. I imagine if I had a good pH meter and paid closer attention to the water chemistry I might be able to get a better efficiency. However I have not been motivated and the system has been making great tasting beer.

Two things I would recommend to you are your water chemistry and grain crush. The first time I brewed with the brew boss I got 65% efficiency. I bought a Cereal Killer Grain Mill to crush my grains, set it to 1 mm (0.039") and saw my efficiency go up to 70%. If you are getting your grains milled at the store, have them double crush them so that you know they are milled well.

On the water side, if you do have a pH meter handy, monitor you pH and add lactic acid or calcium carbonate to it to get it close to 5.2. If you do not have a pH meter or do not wish to spend money on one, you could use half your water as carbon filter tap water and the other half as distilled or RO water, and see if that helps out your efficiency.

Play with it a little bit and don't get frustrated.

How much water are you starting with? Sounds like you may be using too much water

Using Beer Smith, it calculated I should start with around 9.3 gallons, which I did. By the time I was done with mashing and boiling, I had about the right amount in the fermenter, factoring in trub loss in the bottom of my kettle. I think I actually should have started with slightly more water, as I had to tip the kettle a bit to get my fermenter to the 5 gallon mark.

I don't understand how too much starting water would impact efficiency? I guess you're referring to brewhouse efficiency rather than mash efficiency, yeah?

Also, anyone used the Beer Smith Brew Boss profiles yet? I was really please to see they showed up in the add-ons, haven't had a chance to use them, but they are definitely different to the guesstimated Brew Boss profile I created myself....

Did these ad-ons show up in Beer Smith for BrewBoss? How do you update Beer Smith to show it?

Did these ad-ons show up in Beer Smith for BrewBoss? How do you update Beer Smith to show it?

There's an "add ons" button/option in the software. Definitely worth checking periodically, you can add all the new malt, yeast, hop profiles etc, as well as equipment profiles. This option isn't in the mobile app version though, I don't think. Only the pc version.

I'll definitely check that out tonight. I've only ran one batch through it and it worked pretty well but I did notice that the boil wasnt nearly as aggressive as it is with my old propane set up. Not sure if there is a setting that I can adjust or not for a little more vigorous boil.

I'll definitely check that out tonight. I've only ran one batch through it and it worked pretty well but I did notice that the boil wasnt nearly as aggressive as it is with my old propane set up. Not sure if there is a setting that I can adjust or not for a little more vigorous boil.

Did you try adjusting the specific % settings for boiling? Also you can just manually adjust the heater %. For me, anything over 70% gets me a vigorous boil

That's normal for these systems. Mine is the same. The boil sensor detects when the temperature plateaus (around 211F I think if you're around sea level), and tries to maintain that temp by adjusting the element power. Propane just keeps adding heat so will be more vigorous. You don't need a vigorous boil I don't think. It won't make your beer any better. The Brew Boss profiles are set up to account for the correct boil off rates as well anyway (or a pretty close approximation).

Not sure if there is a setting that I can adjust or not for a little more vigorous boil.

The software automatically throttles back the power during the boil. Crank it back up and you can match what you're used to. On full power my brewboss produces way more of a boil than I had ever seen on a propane burner.

Latest posts

Back