1.3 gal. mini kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nchomebrew

Reaction score
anyone use the 1.3 gallon mini kegs?
the lhbs store has them, and i was wondering if anyone had luck using them.
and if so, would you use them just like bottling? so you would just add priming sugar, and let it carbonate and build pressure on it's own, or does it need a shot of CO2?
also wondering, because a local brewery sells their brews in them, and i have several around.
i'd have to look into it, but i think you can buy replaceable top plugs/valves.

I imagine you are referring to the 5L mini kegs, like Heiniken and a few others come in? You can get two piece reusable bungs for them, and reuse them as long as you take care of the correctly (they can also explode). Fill them like they are one big bottle- priming sugar. As far as serving, tap and drink it all at once is do able, but would really get a something like a Party Star tap system for it. These are taps that go into a two piece bung, clamp on the edges and take CO2 cartridges. There are a bunch of post once you know what to search for. Let us know if you have more questions!

I haven't used mine in years, but I remember priming them with 1/2 what I used for bottling. Definitely something to search around on.

I have been doing some reserch on this myself, the good thing with these kegs is they fit better in your fridge and you dont have to dedicate your whole brew to them, i have listed a couple of sites to check out, there are a few guys that have made some co2 setups for them which is what i might try, but you can buy some too, the only problem is they are not SS and from what i have read they dont last forever. I also listed a pdf sheet that explains how to prime them.

New Page 1

Mini Keg Equipment :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

http://www.brew-winemaking.com/ProductPDF/4900.pdf

Here's a pic of the Philtap. Looks awesome, but good luck finding it.
tap1001.jpg

Product Details for Philtap for Mini-Kegs

that's not what the ones i am talking about look like. the can is shaped like that, but there is a gravity spigot at the base, and the top just has a relief valve. not sure we are all talking about the same thing. i'll try to find a pic.

I have about 15-20 of them. I got them mostly from Germany where they have a built in tap at the bottom that you pull out and a bung on top where you turn a red "key" to allow air flow.

They cost me about $8 (full of German beer). :D Seems most HBS sell these at $11 or more. Total rip off.

If you get these you will not have to spend $$$ on a tap and CO2 cartridges.:D

now we are talking. thought i was going crazy. a local micro brewery sells their stuff in those, and i have several, and will definitely get more if it works for beer storage.
thanks homebrewer_99

About priming, how much to use? in the beer smith 2.0 volumes of co2 is too much?
any help, i going to keg it next week.

I used one of them for homebrew a while back. I think it was a DAB beer or something. I put a brown ale in there and is worked pretty good. Just filled it up as I bottled my beer and took it to a party. Once the foaming stopped it worked ok.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably fill from the keg and build a carb and serve system, like the picture shows.

Just to clarify my earlier statement:

If you use the kegs with the built in tap (at the bottom) and the bung on top (it has a "key" you turn) then you DO NOT need to buy a tap or CO2 cartridges.

If your minikegs do not have the built in tap then you need a tap and CO2 cartridges.

I have both (lesson learned). Go with the built in tap type.:rockin:

I'm thinking about using them with a homemade (RV pump) beer engine. I figure it wouldn't be hard to finish off one of these before it oxidizes, compared to a full Coney.

I'm thinking about using them with a homemade (RV pump) beer engine. I figure it wouldn't be hard to finish off one of these before it oxidizes, compared to a full Coney.

5 liters is only 10 half liters or about 11-12 pint glasses (depending on if you have 14 oz or 16 oz pint glasses)...

They'll last a few days once opened up, but I recommend not tapping them up unless you're going to drink it all.

Back