Possible Contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHHomebrew

Reaction score
A buddy of mine and I have been working over the mystery of a possible contamination on a recently brewed Honey Stout. It also seems like a second frementation process is happening after the beer has been bottled.

The only possible thing that we are thinking that is causing this is the bottleing process. C-Bright is being used to sanatize the bottling equipment itself. We are thinking, possibly, the spicket itself is the source of some contamination. Otherwise we are at a loss.

The main question: During 1st firmentation process, there are no issues at all. After bottling is when (at least it seems) like a second fermentation process is taking place. Cause is possible contamination, but we cannot figure out from where.

Clues, hints?

The secondary fermentation you mention is the yeasts working on the sugars added for bottling... that's what gives the beer its final carbonation.

Unless it tastes funny, it's just nature doing what its supposed to do. :)

It sounds like a stuck fermentation to me. What kind of hydrometer readings are you getting? I've seen where beer sits for up to a month but never gets below 1.020 and simply racking it gets fermentation going again.

Back