Shipping hops to/from Canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AiredAle

Reaction score
So, I might have a chance to trade some hops to a fellow HBTer, but he's in Canada and I'm in Minnesota. We think that there may be some restrictions about him sending me hops but we're not sure.

Anyone out there had success or problems shipping hops out of Canada? What has to be done regarding paperwork? My contact thinks we need some sort of FDA number for the paperwork.

Anyone who can help? Same question for shipping hops to Canada.

I am not sure about shipping hops to the US, but nothing special needs to be done for shipping them to Canada. I recently had seven lbs of hops shipped up here. The package cleared customs with no problems, and was clearly identified as brewing hops.

A few states, like Washington, have restrictions on rhizomes. I doubt there will be any problem. The HTS code is 1210100000, if you want to check.

Hey raceskier,

I sort of had that conversation years ago when I brought a suitcase of leaf hops home from England to Minnesota. Took me a while to convince the Twin Cities airport Customs and Immigration lads that they were in fact hops for brewing, and not an ingredient for some other recreational activity. When convinced they wanted me to pay $0.09 per pound tariff or $0.81 in total, as I recall. Finally the more senior of the pair working me over agreed that I could go, as filling in the paperwork for 81 cents wasn't worth it. I left without delay, with 9 pounds of goldings hops in my spare suitcase.

Don't quote me on this, but shipping from US to Canada will be a LOT easier than the other way. Importing a live plant into the US (even seeds) is a bit hassle, there has to be customs declarations, a disease free report, and I'm sure others.

Back