Anyone use Bottling bucket for Primary ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukelynch

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has ever used a bottling bucket as a primary fermenter before ?

I just got one and I decided to give it a try, which is what I'm doing now, so far so good. I'm using it as a primary because it seems easier to simply use the spigot at the bottom to move it to a glass secondary fermentor then later use the bottling bucket again for its original purpose.

I asked the local homebrew store about that and they said they wouldn't because bacteria may get into the spigot. But after thinking about it more, this is exactly the way the Mr. Beer machine works. Its just that I would be doubling the capacity this way without the need of using 3 separate buckets or carboys.

2 Stage fermenting with one less siphon makes things a bit easier !!!

Thanks

It's just a matter of cleaning and sanitizing. I have three buckets with spigots and mix and match as needed. Always clean when you're done with a piece of gear and clean AND sanitized before using.

Thanks David_42, I thought that would be the case.

So just like the Mr. Beer thingie that do work its just too small......

Very Good,

Happy Homebrewing !!

I don't know how high your spigot is, but wouldn't you be drawing a large portion of the sediment along with the beer when you rack it? Seems counter-productive to me to bring the very thing you are trying to get away from with you to secondary. Set me straight.

Welcome to the forum.:)

well, my beer kit is coming soon, I hope, and it comes with two spigoted buckets (bottling buckets essentially), and the description has something about a patented spigot system that leaves the trub behind. I think the (top secret, classified, patented) solution to the sediment issue is that the spigot is mounted 2-3 inches up above the bottom of the bucket, and hence leaves the sediment in there...

I could be wrong though... :D

I use a bucket with spigot for primary as I just started in January. My spigot is only 1" or so above the bottom. For first 2 batches that proved to be above the level of the trub but on my latest creation I am seeing that the trub level is a bit above the spigot opening. I may have to siphon most of the beer but it seems I might loose a 1\4 to 1\2 gallon on the bottom unless the trub compacts over the next week.

Anyone have a method for getting the liquid out but leave most of the trub?

Blender, Charley Papazian's book "The Home Brewers Companion", is just about right. Use it to prop the bucket, under the spigot. That will alow the beer to flow without much trub. Then, as the level drops and you can see the trub, 'pour' the beer out of the spigto.

I use a spigoted bucket and don't seem to get much trub out of it. A little I don't really mind. I don't recall offhand how high my spigot is, but I usually have to tip my bucket towards the spigot to get the last of the clear beer out.

casebrew said:
Blender, Charley Papazian's book "The Home Brewers Companion", is just about right. Use it to prop the bucket, under the spigot. That will alow the beer to flow without much trub. Then, as the level drops and you can see the trub, 'pour' the beer out of the spigto.
Good idea Casebrew. I will have to try that.

Back