Using citra or galaxy for citrus flavor in a Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilikecats12

Reaction score
I am brewing a Blonde Ale for summer and want to give it a hint of citrus without overpowering the malt and other flavor hops. I was thinking of dry hopping a small amount of citra or galaxy or subbing some of the flavor hop additions with them. Has anyone used citra or galaxy in a blonde? Also, how much would you recommend to get the hint of citrus without overpowering the malt?

Right now I am planning on modifying Brulosopher's Blonde recipe as I have never made this style before. Here's the link http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/17560/brulosophers-best-blonde-ale
Any and all responses are appreciated!

Go easy on the dry hopping, especially if there isnt a lot of accompanying bitterness. I made a blonde/pale ale hybrid last year that I dry hopped with about 2-3 oz of cascade, it had this overpowering aroma without much else. It was kind of boring actually, like hop-water.

Depends a little bit on what kind of grain bill you are going to use. What OG? What size batch? I have used citra in small amounts in what is basically beirmunchers centennial blonde ale. I subbed the last two additions of centennial with citra. It was a very good beer but the hop flavor and aroma from the citra masked the maltiness that a blonde should have. It just takes it out of style a bit. But nonetheless a very good light easy drinker for the summer.

In my experience, Citra and Galaxy are both pretty pungent, even in small amounts. I recently made an India Red Ale (8oz of total hops) with 1oz of Galaxy near flame out and the flavor from the Galaxy hops is fairly evident. I would probably start with a small flameout addition (maybe .25oz) then when you take a final gravity reading, taste your sample and if you feel it could use some more of either hop, you can always dry hop the beer. One other thing I might add is if you are shooting for citrus, I personally wouldn't classify the flavors from Citra or Galaxy as citrusy, they are both more of a tropical fruit (think mango/peach/passion fruit) flavor. If you are shooting for citrus, I'd recommend centennial or even motueka (more of a lemon lime flavor).

One other thing I might add is if you are shooting for citrus, I personally wouldn't classify the flavors from Citra or Galaxy as citrusy, they are both more of a tropical fruit (think mango/peach/passion fruit) flavor. If you are shooting for citrus, I'd recommend centennial or even motueka (more of a lemon lime flavor).

I can understand where you are coming from. I recently brewed a DIPA with citra and galaxy and although the galaxy smelled like grapefruits when I opened the bag, after fermentation the brew smelled and tasted more of peaches and mangos (maybe that has to do with the citra?). Basically what I am going for is a grapefruit kind of citrus. Any hops that come to mind that can give me that type of citrus flavor? I considered adding grapefruit or orange flavorings but would rather get the flavor from hops if I can.

Depends a little bit on what kind of grain bill you are going to use. What OG? What size batch? I have used citra in small amounts in what is basically beirmunchers centennial blonde ale. I subbed the last two additions of centennial with citra. It was a very good beer but the hop flavor and aroma from the citra masked the maltiness that a blonde should have. It just takes it out of style a bit. But nonetheless a very good light easy drinker for the summer.

Grainbill: (for 5.5 gallon batch)
8lbs 4 oz 2 Row
12 oz White Wheat
8 oz Crystal 15L
4 oz Cara-Pils

Eff: 72%
O.G. 1.046
F.G. 1.008

Masking the malt flavor is what I am worried about since this is a blonde ale and I know citra is a pretty potent hop. I am not terribly worried about staying in the style parameters although I don't want it to turn into a pale ale type of beer (as it easily can). I have just had a few blonde ales that I thought would taste delicious with a hint of grapefruit type citrus flavor.

I would second Cascade, and also recommend Centennial or Summit.

I cant comment on galaxy, but I have done a couple citra only blondes. I did 3 7gm additions at 60, 20 and 5min for about 21IBUs and got plenty of citra aroma and flavor without dry hopping.

To me citra does not really come across as grapefruit, I like a combination of chinook for flavor and cascade for aroma to get a good grapefruit smell and taste.

Widmer makes a citra blond that tastes pretty good, maybe look for a clone recipe of that to get some ideas.

Cascade is more grapefruit then Citra and Galaxy are. I think Galaxy reminds me of hawaiian punch, and when I say that, realize, it's my favorite hop to use and I think that pineapple/Mango aroma is amazing.

Citra is very much a citrus hop imho. Tangerine and orange standout more to me then anything tropical. It's not grapfruity though. Again, all IMHO.

Edit, I think of Centennial as kind of light and lemony.

Maybe try some ahtanum. It's supposed to more grapefruit forward than cascade with about the same properties.

Maybe an ounce for the dry hop?

Thanks for all the responses guys! The actual recipe I'm modifying (posted above if anybody is interested) uses some cascade. Maybe I'll sub out another addition for cascade.. or add another addition at flame out. What about simcoe and amarillo? I've never personally used them but have read they impart a grapefruit type citrus flavor and aroma. Thoughts?

Thanks for all the responses guys! The actual recipe I'm modifying (posted above if anybody is interested) uses some cascade. Maybe I'll sub out another addition for cascade.. or add another addition at flame out. What about simcoe and amarillo? I've never personally used them but have read they impart a grapefruit type citrus flavor and aroma. Thoughts?

I get major citrus from simcoe. It's also a little cat pissy at times. I haven't brewed yet with amarillo to tell you but I did buy a pound last week.

I looked over the recipe and I would say just go with the recipe as is if you are looking for citrus or grapefruit. Then like brdb said check the beer when it nears completion and decide if you want to dry hop it with a little extra cascade.

In the "Brewing Classic Styles" book there is a hop flavor wheel sort of thing that group hops in their primary characteristics. I use that chart sometimes when I am working on a recipe to finds hop combination or looking for substitutions. I like to have hops from at least two different categories in the 20-5min additions to help build complexity.

I get major citrus from simcoe. It's also a little cat pissy at times. I haven't brewed yet with amarillo to tell you but I did buy a pound last week.

I have heard that, cat piss smell, about simcoe and mosaic that's why I was a little skeptical when some mention them as citrus type hops.

I looked over the recipe and I would say just go with the recipe as is if you are looking for citrus or grapefruit. Then like brdb said check the beer when it nears completion and decide if you want to dry hop it with a little extra cascade.

In the "Brewing Classic Styles" book there is a hop flavor wheel sort of thing that group hops in their primary characteristics. I use that chart sometimes when I am working on a recipe to finds hop combination or looking for substitutions. I like to have hops from at least two different categories in the 20-5min additions to help build complexity.

Thanks for the advice! I looked at Hop Union's Aroma Wheel (https://www.hopunion.com/aroma-wheel/) and it mentions comet imparting grapefruit type aromas/flavors. I might do some more research on that hop as I have never heard of or used it before.

To me, Amarillo definitely adds an "orange" type flavor. A little too much and "orange hard candy" is very present. I'm not usually a big fan of blonde ales, but I do like the Kona Big Wave Golden Ale. Since summer is coming, I do need to have something to drink after mowing the lawn that isn't a brown porter or a stout, and a clone of Kona Golden Ale might be the ticket.

I have heard that, cat piss smell, about simcoe and mosaic that's why I was a little skeptical when some mention them as citrus type hops.

I think it depends on a factor I'm not sure of. The simcoe hops that I have right now are not too bad. I believe the mosaic crop this year is more cat pissy than last year. I was skeptical when someone told me that but I believe that to be the case.

They're more citrusy than cat pissy lol. Usually the cat pissyness is from a heavy dry hop.

Back