Warped Cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkagain

Reaction score
So I finished making my mash tun this afternoon and decided to check out if the ball valve was gonna leak. Ran into a few problems and I didn't manage to get things as tight as I'd like. Anyway I heated up a few gallons of water to about 200 F' adn dumped it in and let it sit for a few minutes. No leaking but after I had drained it I noticed that the walls of my cooler had warped a little bit. Nothing major but Its there. Is this anything to worry about? I'm using a 48 qt rectangular Rubbermaid cooler.

Thanks

That's gonna happen. 200degrees is awefully hot for that plastic. Keep in mind mashing temp will never exceed 170. Go much over 200 and the plastic will start to melt, so don't do that again.

Drunkagain said:
I noticed that the walls of my cooler had warped a little bit. Nothing major but Its there. Is this anything to worry about?
Thanks

Probably not.

Do you think this will happen to any cooler? I have an Igloo 5 gallon round cooler that I do my mash in. I am kinda in an ackward predicament. I have my keggle, but I am still waiting on a guy I know to do some TIG welding to affix the ball valve. I really need to brew this weekend, but will need to get the hot wort out of the keggle and into my CFC. The best way I came up with doing this is to "laddle" the hot wort out of the keggle and into my Igloo cooler, hooking the ball valve to my CFC. Do people advise against, even if it is a one-time thing?
Any other suggestions?

Back