Potassium sorbate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are going to use it, Make a yeast starter and pitch actively fermenting yeast into it.

Potassium sorbate will not stop a fermentation, only prevent one from starting.

Barry

seein as how i have waisted my money and wanted to try it out for kicks

can i leave it in the milk jug it came in
add sugars
pitch yeast
add airlock
and see what happens?

I want you all to know that i do agree with you and respect your advice and i am in touch with my local apple orchard to get fresh pressed juice from them, just want to play with it.

roofman70 said:
seein as how i have waisted my money and wanted to try it out for kicks

can i leave it in the milk jug it came in
add sugars
pitch yeast
add airlock
and see what happens?

I want you all to know that i do agree with you and respect your advice and i am in touch with my local apple orchard to get fresh pressed juice from them, just want to play with it.

I would still like to know what others think about this

roofman70 said:
If it starts to ferment what could be bad about that

sorry...my bad...it was a Simpsons joke that I assumed most people would get...

A spoof on Gremlins. Homer buys a cursed doll and gets a free frogurt with it:

Owner: Take this object, but beware it carries a terrible curse!
Homer: [worried] Ooooh, that's bad.
Owner: But it comes with a free Frogurt!
Homer: [relieved] That's good.
Owner: The Frogurt is also cursed.
Homer: [worried] That's bad.
Owner: But you get your choice of topping!
Homer: [relieved] That's good.
Owner: The toppings contains Potassium Benzoate.
Homer: [stares]
Owner: That's bad.

:ban:

Other than that I have nothing useful to add...except that I'd find unpasteurized cider with no additives if at all possible.

roofman70 said:
so are you telling me it would get me sick

?? Huh? I didn't say anything about getting sick. Just that the best cider in the world is unpasteurized with no additives. The worst that'd happen with potassium-sorbate-ified cider is fermentation wouldn't start. If you get sick, it's got nothing to do with the p. sorbate or the yeast.

I just made a batch from five gallons of K-sorbated cider, (mistakenly purchased). It may be a function of how much sorbate was in the cider, but I had no problems. I used champagne yeast, and got it started in a cup of juice before pitching. took two days to see any airlock activity, but fermentation was complete in under two weeks. Tastes great, and no issues that I saw... other than the two days worrying whether or not I wasted 5 gallons of juice.

I mistakenly purchased 3 gallons of K-sorbated cider too, pitched a packet of Nottingham, waited 2 days and no fermentation, made a starter with apple juice and more yeast, pitched that yesterday am and nothing yet. there is just a very mere starting of froth on the top of the cider.
I'm at an impasse with this batch...

Latest posts

Back