Labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
Hey guys, what paper do you use for your labels? I read a post that said to use Avery labels. I downloaded their software and have been toying around with my labels. I'm only going to make labels for the beers I give away. The ones on my fridge can be masking tape for all I care.
But the ones I do present to people I want to really be nice looking. I have read that some use milk to apply them? What about glue sticks? What about Sticker labels?

What about condensation making the ink run? I do not have a laser printer, only an ink-jet. Does hair spray work?

We use sticky-back labels and ink stamps, so we had a similar problem. We solved it by spraying the finished labels with spray adhesive and letting it dry before removing and applying the labels. It seems to prevent running and gives the bottle a little texture and grip. Sorry, it's not really clear from the picture...

brown.jpg

talleymonster said:
Hey guys, what paper do you use for your labels? I read a post that said to use Avery labels. I downloaded their software and have been toying around with my labels. I'm only going to make labels for the beers I give away. The ones on my fridge can be masking tape for all I care.
But the ones I do present to people I want to really be nice looking. I have read that some use milk to apply them? What about glue sticks? What about Sticker labels?

What about condensation making the ink run? I do not have a laser printer, only an ink-jet. Does hair spray work?

i use regular printer paper get nine to a sheet of paper. seal the printed side with hairspray, cut out and glue to the bottle. i used glue stick, bit am gonna try the milk.

Avery mailing labels (removable or non), 4" x 3.3". Printed on works laser printer (shhhh...it's a secret). Currently, I am using the non-removable (regular) labels, but I am thinking about trying the removable ones. The regular labels can be a bit of a pain in the ass to remove (it's the adhesive, not the paper).

I use them only on beers that leave my house. If I am drinking them or you are drinking them at my house, I put a number code on the cap. The codes are posted on the beer refridgerator.

Unclesamskid said:
Avery mailing labels (removable or non), 4" x 3.3". Printed on works laser printer (shhhh...it's a secret). Currently, I am using the non-removable (regular) labels, but I am thinking about trying the removable ones. The regular labels can be a bit of a pain in the ass to remove (it's the adhesive, not the paper).

I use them only on beers that leave my house. If I am drinking them or you are drinking them at my house, I put a number code on the cap. The codes are posted on the beer refridgerator.
I use the non-removable ones and I find that if I run it under hot water they come right off without any problems.

I know this doesn't help in the least, but if you have money, this might be a way to go. My major has a lot to do with printing. I recently had a project where I had to design a 3 color project to be printed on a flexo press on label stock. Since we run the presses ourselves in lab, I decided it would be great to make beer labels. The layout allowed for 4 different designs, so I made an IPA, Summer Blonde, Signature Ale and a blank one we can fill in when we make other beers.

tgreene7 said:
i use regular printer paper get nine to a sheet of paper. seal the printed side with hairspray, cut out and glue to the bottle. i used glue stick, bit am gonna try the milk.

That's what I do for wine bottles too, except it's 4 to a page. I use a high quality lightly colored and textured paper too. You don't have to, but it looks nice.

I use the milk method. Just place a sponge on a saucer and wet with milk. Then dab the label (made with plain paper) on the sponge and affix to a clean, dry bottle. They stay on very well once the milk dries and come off very easily with some warm water. The only drawback is that the label will not stand up to being in a cooler for the day. I have not had any experience with sweating on the bottle because I use a glass.

I haven't done much labeling, but i printed mine out on my laser jet printer and headed over to Staples and made a few color copies. The laser printer paper worked great and and trimmed them up and adhered them with a water-soluble glue stick.

I can't wait to print my labels out and look at them. In my gallery I have a few for you guys enjoyment, or not. Let me know what you guys think as this is my first real outing in Adobe Photoshop.

Back