Which Yeast in a Gumballhead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tried a friend's Gumballhead clone that used Wyeast 1968. Yeast profile tasted spot on, IMO.

Word on the street is that 1968 is their house yeast. I've used it in clones of Zombie Dust and Pride and Joy with very good results. My clone of Gumballhead won't be ready for another week, so I can't comment on how 1968 works in that recipe yet.

1968's what I've been told also. Glad that seems to be the consensus and not just a rumor told to me.

I would like to know the yeast in sand bebble. But I too ahve heard the 68 is thier house yeast.

I'd say any neutral ale yeast like 1056.. I've done 100+ gal of each.. using 1056 ...both have a hop forward taste... Amarillo for gumball and Citra for Zdust ...the yeast seems insignificant in the hop schedule for these clknes

1056 is a fantastic strain and while its Fuller's originally there are a ton of American micro's that use it. English beware, this yeast is ours now!

It has some great esters that go amazing with hoppy beers, esp citra and amarillo. Don't be afraid to ferment this yeast at the higher end of its temp range.

Back