Guinness Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Guinness Draught Clone in BYO 150 Clones is excellent, I've made it a couple times (have it in secondary right now in fact). If you don't have it, 150 Clones is WELL worth the $5 plus shipping.

you can skip the sour malt and just take a store bought guiness, open it, and leave it for a few days to sour. boil it and add it to the primary and it will really add that guiness taste.

bradsul, I was thinking about doing the Guinness draught clone out of this book/mag but the extract and grain recipe calls for steeping pale malt and flaked barley? I thought these grains are supposed to be mashed? When I entered the recipe into Beersmith I ended up with a much lower estimated OG (1.030 I think). Did you follow the recipe to the letter or did you replace the flaked barley with carapils? And if you did follow the recipe, how did your OG compare?

I'm thinking about getting the ingredients for the Guinness and the Beemish clones and doing the Guinness first and if the OG works then running with it, but if the OG isn’t anywhere near target, abandoning it and going with the beamish.

Every BYO recipe I have done I enter the ingredients into Beersmith. The only other time they weren't within a few points they differed in estimated OG by 9 points! And when it came to brew day, Beersmith was correct (one point off).

I'm an AG brewer - I managed to hit 1.037 which I was very happy with. I would not replace the flaked barley with anything. The flaked barley adds a nice 'grainy' flavour that you would definitely notice was missing.

Flaked barley does need to be mashed so you may want to do a partial mash. It is just steeping at 150F for 60 minutes and then rinsing the grains with some 170F water. If you re-run your calculations in beer smith as a partial mash recipe you will probably find the OG agrees with the clone recipe (or close enough).

Partial mashing is really simple stuff and easily accomplished on a kitchen stove with a colander (that's how I did my first few). You'll be surprised how much it can improve the quality of your beer as well.

There's a nice article on the wiki about it (it includes a link to building a simple cooler mash tun if you decide to go that route).

Thats what i thought. I will either do the parial mash or go with the Beamish.

I'll probably pick up the 150 Clone publication as well.

In the meantime, does anyone have a partial mash Dry Stout recipe that they like a lot?

Latest posts

Back