Pale Ale Fermentation Temp Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

althea

Reaction score
So, I brewed an English Bitter and used Nottingham. For whatever reason I've come to fermenting ales, especially with Notty (and b/c of my house), at around 60-62F. So this batch went for 6-7 days with a pretty aggressive fermentation at this temp and then slowed way down, as expected. In an effort to get it out of the way, I moved it and kind of forgot about it. I checked on it last night and the temp was at like 52-53.

It went for a week at say 62F, and then in theory it's been at 53F for 3/4 days.

I'm a little worried that I basically forced all the yeast to drop out and not finish it's thang. I moved it this morning to a warmer spot in hopes that perhaps it'll rouse the yeast.

Any suggestions? Just roll with it? Should I give the carboy a little rocking action?

Either way, I'm probably not going to get around to bottling for 2-3 weeks, which is what I'd wait anyway. Hopefully time heals all.

I'm realizing someone asked a similar question to me...so let me clarify. I'm fairly confident that it finished fermenting, and that isn't really my primary concern is more with the clean up effort of the yeast and the final few points that perhaps you acheive.

What are your gravity readings? A week at 62 should get you pretty close to your FG. And better to err on the cool end than warm end. Moving it to a warmer spot will be plenty to rouse it.

How's it taste? If it tastes good and your gravity is stable, bottle it.

Back