bass ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmm

Reaction score
i found two very different recipes, any suggestions? or do any of you have your own recipes for bass ale

Bass is OK but there are so many better and more interesting British ales IMO that I've really never considered brewing a Bass takeoff. Can you post the recipes or provide links so we may take a look at them?

Recipe Type:

extract

Description:
I did a side by side comparison last night. The real Bass is slightly darker, more malty and more bitter with less hop flavor than I remember. I suspect that my sample bottle of Bass was not freshest (but that's one of the reasons we homebrew!). The homebrew Bass has significantly more fuggle hop aroma and flavor. I'd like to think that my version is a "Northwest style" Bass. To better approach the real Bass, eliminate the 1/2 ounce of fuggles for the 10 minute boil, and steep the finish hops for 5 minutes. I would also try 80L crystal.

Ingredients:
•7 pounds, Steinbart's American Light Extract
•1 pound, Crystal malt 40L
•1 pound, Dark brown sugar ; be damned German purity law!
•1 ounce, Northern Brewer (60 minute boil)
•1 ounce, Fuggle (30 minute boil)
•1/2 ounce, Fuggle (10 minute boil)
•1/2 ounce, Fuggle (15 minute seep)
•yeast

OG: 1.048

Procedure:
Steep crystal malt and remove grains before boil begins. Add malt extract and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and boil for 60 minutes. Add 1 ounce Northern Brewer at beginning of boil, 1 ounce of Fuggle at 30 minutes and 1/2 ounce of Fuggle for the last 10 minutes. Turn off heat and add final 1/2 ounce Fuggle. Let steep for 15 minutes. Cool. Pitch yeast.

Submitted by: Ron Ezetta

Beer Style:

pale ale, Bass clone

Recipe Type:

extract

Description:
I tried some last night (couldn't wait any longer), and it tasted, well, strange. It was flat, which I can attribute to not enough time in the bottle, but the flavor was very fruity and very bitter. The overall taste was somewhat reminiscent of grapefruit juice.

I'm not sure where this flavor is coming from. Is the fruit/citrus flavor coming from the brown sugar? Or is it from the yeast? I don't think that the amount of hops I used should be making this as bitter as it seems to be. Or should it? How much of this will mellow away with age?

Ingredients:
•3lb Munton & Fison Light DME
•1/2lb Medium crystal (L ~50)
•1/2lb Dark brown sugar
•1 oz Fuggles @ 60 min
•1/2 oz Kent Goldings @ 30 min
•1/2 oz Kent Goldings @ 2 min
•Wyeast 1098

Procedure:
This was a three gallon batch. I steeped the crystal in 170F water for about 20 min or so, and then added it to the pot. I pitched from a 1 pint starter at 75F, and fermented (primary only) at about 62F for ten days. I didn't get an OG (forgot), but the FG was down to 1.004, so I bottled it last weekend.

Submitted by: Rick Hammerstone

Back