hops in pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonhagen1

Reaction score
can you grow hops in a five gallon bucket or a large pot? i would like to grow them over my back deck is this a good idea?but i cant really plant them in the ground any advice is good thanks

I'm new to hop growing, but I've been reading a bunch. From what I understand, you can grow hops in containers, but it will limit the plant's ability to produce and even a first year plant will quickly outgrow and become rootbound in a 5 gallon bucket. If you must grow in a pot, get the biggest one you can find/afford.

Do some research. It is a common topic so there is alot of info on it. In short... yes it can be done for 1st and 2nd yr hops but anything after that the roots will choke the plant and/or break the pot. I use one of those large plastic buckets with the rope handles and it works well. drill holes in the bottom for drainage and then use gravel for the 1st 3-6" and then your favourite potting soil.

Yes it can work real well. Make sure there is drainage and plenty of sun....you'll be impressed with what these plants can do. I started 2 cascade rizomes last year in those large planters from home depot. The roots have already gone through the holes and into the soil undernearth. I am interesed to see how they will do this year. Keep us posted.

Back