Moving to All Grain!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Countrysquire

Reaction score
I've done about a dozen partial mash batches and have had great success thanks to the members of this forum. Have been reading about all grain brewing and have decided to make the move.

So far, I've picked up 3 Sanke kegs from a guy off craigslist for $100 and will now work towards converting them to a HLT, MLT, & BK. My plan is to initially use gravity and the two propane burners that I have at my outdoor kitchen, but eventually build a stand & move to electric heating elements, HERMS, etc.

It looks like the retrofits to the Sankes for electric heat will be easy enough, but things are rarely as easy as I think they should be. Any advice on making this future proof? What would you've done differently?

Thanks, as always I appreciate the great advice which leads to great beer.

Congrats on the all grain adventure. The only suggestion I have would be to buy your thermometers all at once if buying them from EBAY. I didn't and now I'm having trouble finding one to match what I have already. Doesn't really matter as long as they work but I like all of my stuff to match. The other advice, take the time to really consider what you want when you get ready to build your stand.

Back